- Silence is not a cessation of sound,
nor any other kind of negation.
Silence is an unrestrained exposition,
an immense revelation.
- Religion is the way that brings the lost mind back to its center; its Home. That is religion.
- We all are conditioned.
Religion is that which reduces our conditioning and brings us back to our original, innocent, clean Self.
- Religion is not about set rituals; Religion is not about following particular pattern; Religion in fact is that which breaks the pre-existing patterns.
- True religion is a bit of a rebellion. It is every bit a rebellion, because true religion means getting rid of all the certainties in mind. True religion means, getting rid of what you usually consider precious and important. True religion means, nothing will stay in this mind except the very Truth. Everything else will be examined, seen in its totality, and hence rejected in the favour of Truth. Nothing will remain here, except the one, single, clean Truth.
- Religion is that which leads to your awakening, not that which helps you in remaining more asleep.
- Religion is that which brings you to your center of peace; not the center of disturbance, or violence.
- Real prayer is a life of surrender.
Real prayer is when you say, “If I pray, then that prayer is worthless. So I won’t even pray. Whatever I do, would always be tainted with my incompleteness.”
- Real prayer is such a deep surrender that – “I am not going to even ask something, because I don’t know what is good for me. I am leaving everything to existence.”
Real prayer is a deep-deep surrender of the ego.
- By asking for anything from the past, you will only ensure that the past continues, and nothing new ever happens to you.
- We think that our small well is the world. There is a huge world outside your well, outside your aims. And you must not be in a hurry to know about it. This is good news, you must not feel threatened. The world outside is good, it is not a hostile world. You can come out and play. The world is not there to enslave you, or harm you, or torture you. No. It is an amicable world.
- You cannot skip life, even for a moment. And it is easy, it is effortless. It is as effortless as the beating of the heart, as effortless as breathing. Attention is no workout; attention is not a demanding activity. Attention is simple, effortless; you just have to be present. And when you are simply present, then you know what the whole game is all about.
- Knowing the game, you also know your role in the game.
- The answers cannot come from the advice of others; the answers cannot even come from your own experiences in the past. The answers can arise only from your deep presence, right now.
When you are available to what is there, when you are open to it, then magically, without even trying, you know your answer.
- Clarity comes only to an innocent mind.
- Anything arising from the tendencies cannot bring tendencies to an end.
A new thought will not bring the old thoughts to an end because the new thought is the furtherance of the old thought.
It is actually ‘old’.
- The thinking is the thinker itself. The thinker cannot get rid of the thought.
- Your obsession with the thought, continues the thought. Stop being obsessed, stop giving the thought more energy, and the thought will go away, because the thought has no organic life of its own. It is a dead thing; like a car, it depends on somebody else to give it fuel.
Do not give it fuel, and see for how long it sustains.
Soon it will drop down.
- It is possible to have an objective, and be on the road to it, very calmly. It is possible to work very energetically, without the fear of loss, or without the fear of failure. But that happen only when your objective is not arising from an internal sense of incompleteness.
- If your relationship is really solid, you won’t need to expect.
You will get more than you can ever expect.
- Maturity is attention. Maturity is looking closely and clearly at what is going on.
And when you look closely at what is going on, then you are able to differentiate between the necessary and the unnecessary, then you are able to differentiate between love and violence, between attachment and compassion.
- What is maturity?
Realization; when you come to realize the nature of your existence.
- Maturity is being really yourself.
Maturity means attaining your independent nature.
- To respond you must have the courage to stand a little free, free of that system and free of its influence upon you.
That is the only freedom. That is also called freedom from conditioning.
- Responsibility does not come with identity; in fact, responsibility comes with freedom from identity.
Real responsibility is very unpredictable, so it’s very thrilling.
Fake responsibility is boredom, real responsibility is extremely thrilling.
- To be young means to have the guts and the gumption to rise, to live freely.
To be young means to have a spine that can sit straight.
Youth does not giggle; youth does not hide its face.
- Only a frightened man tries to frighten others.
The free man will liberate.
- Whatever is lived fully, does not carry forward.
Whatever is lived fully, does not leave a trace.
- Whatever is lived fully, whatever comes to a completion, does not remain a baggage on the mind anymore.
- If I understand things fully and let the right action happen today, then my mind will not wander into hopes of tomorrow.
It will be completely occupied with the great possibility of this moment, of what is to be done.
- You have lived, only if you have lived a thousand lives in one life.
- When you are into it, you are completely into it, and when you move on to the next thing or the next moment, then the previous one must completely die, completely die.
- Live fully, die fully, and then come alive, again, and again…
- Attachment is the action of the time and space.
- You cannot keep sleeping all your life. You have to wake up. Waking up is your nature. So better wake up right now. The more you will be late, the more painful it will be to wake up.
- If you don’t look at this world carefully, you’ll suffer; and if you take a position that this world is everything, then too you would suffer.
Standing still is not something to be practiced.
Standing still is not something that you will cultivate.
Standing still is your nature. It is already there.
But you move away from it when your mind has values that tell you to run all the time, to become super competitive.
All you need to do is go closer to those values and ask yourself, “Are they really needed? Are they important? Are they relevant? Can’t I live without them?”
- You don’t need to learn to stand still. You need to unlearn what you have acquired and that is easy. A little bit of attention, a little bit of fearlessness that comes from Faith, and you’re Home.
- Compete, but don’t have a competitive mind.
- The moment you start knowing, unloading starts happening. Attention is the key to unloading.
- We don’t want to look at the facts. We keep pushing them at the back. Let them come in front. Go close to them and inquire. Facts will open the gate to Truth.
- Attachment is a side-effect of your basic search for identity.
- No one who suffers is innocent. An innocent man, by definition, cannot suffer.
- Wherever there is lack of clarity, there is bound to be suffering.
Wherever there is conditioning, there is bound to be suffering.
- Lie gives us demonstrations all the time, it keeps on telling us where we really stand;
if only, we love ourselves enough to listen to life.
- To be really sensitive, is to be intelligent.
To be really sensitive is to, listen to your Heart.
- The moment you are able to identify that all this is external, you are also able to immediately see what is internal.
- To identify the ego, to understand the ego, is to understand that in my life there is nothing called me; there’s only all the external that has been filled in me. And I’m hiding beneath all of that, I’m hiding beneath all of that.To identify the ego is to identify myself. To understand the ego is to understand myself. To understand the ego is to understand myself.
- Mind is brain plus intelligence.
This intelligence does not come from anywhere, this is entirely yours.
- Intelligence is purely yours, no one can give it to you and no one can take it away from you. It is yours. In fact, to say it is yours is not accurate. It is what you are.
- There is only one way to know – to let intelligence operate in attention.
- When you are listening, you just listen; and in that listening, there is the dance of intelligence and you just understand.
- To understand the ego is also to get rid of the ego. To get rid of the ego is to find yourself out and become a free man. And only a free man takes right decisions in life, with respect to livelihood, with respect to every small thing he or she does day in and day out. The quality of your mind determines the quality of your life. The freedom of your mind is the freedom of your life.
- If you already believe, you cannot know.
Belief is an enemy of attention.
- When you rebel superficially, then your rebellion is a very tempestuous rebellion. There is a lot of sound and fury; there is a lot of shaking up and agitation. But when your rebellion is really-really deep, then it becomes a very peaceful rebellion.
Your rebel, you rebel deeply. But because you are so convinced that you cannot be defeated, so there is no agitation in your rebellion. Your rebellion is not that of the servant against the master; your rebellion is the command of the master himself. You are not rising against something, now your rebellion is just a rising.
- Let there be a freshness and innocence in your youth. And if you are fresh and innocent, and if you surrender only to the Truth, the world will extract its pound of flesh. Be prepared to pay the price. No price is too heavy for reclaiming your youth. Pay the price. Take boldly on your chest all the wounds that this world can inflict upon you. Have the guts! Let them wound you; let them become your enemies. Let them gang up against you. Why must you become a survive cow? Why?
- The immature rebel shows disrespect; the mature rebel is just detached.
- What is detachment?
To not to hold on to stupidity.
- Whatever takes you towards your beautiful Heart, is beautiful; whatever takes you away from the Beauty in your Heart, is ugly.
- What is beautiful?
That which takes you towards the Beautiful.
What is ugly?
That which takes you away from the Beautiful.
- Which place is a temple?
That which reminds you of the Truth. Any place that reminds you of the Truth, is a temple.
- Set your eyes on Truth and just play.
If you meet defeat, all it means is that you are yet distant from the Truth.
Truth alone is victorious.
- Whatever comes to an end, comes to an end, only because it is false; otherwise, it cannot come to an end. Whosoever has ever been defeated, has been defeated, only because he was false. Otherwise, he cannot be defeated. Truth alone wins. And more importantly, the false alone loses.
- Realization is extremely powerful. You cannot realize and not act. It is impossible. Action follows realization.
- Realization does not solve problems, it leaves them behind.
- Buddha is not a man or a person, he is awakening itself!
- What is inner poverty?
A nagging feeling that something is missing.
- There is no search as ignorant, as useless and as tragic as the search for happiness.
Happiness is a mirage that appears only from a distance.
- Nobody has ever laughed except in tears.
- You don’t need any source outside of you for inspiration because inspiration is totally yours. Any sources outside of you can have just one utility – to cut you off from all other sources outside of yourself. Nobody brings you back to yourself because you are already there.
- Nothing drives us more strongly than the thought that – something is at stake, something is about to be lost. It is death casting its shadow in various forms. That is what drives us.
“Do this, or you lose this.”
“Do this, and you gain this.”
Except these two statements, is there anything else that can make you do anything?
- Those who really want to change their life, are prepared to pay with their death.
- One never understands it without living it. It is not just a concept.
One has to pay the price and live that life.
And it is not a fairy tale, or a pleasant story, when you are paying that price.
Remember, that price is ‘yourself’.
One is battered, and bruised, and the being is full of wounds. And it is only then, that you realize that there is a great healing power within you, which holds you together, in spite of all the wounds that you have.
- What is comfort? – repetition, pattern, conditioning. It is an inability to break out in the open. It is an inability to breathe in fresh air. That is what comfort is. “I can’t break out of my cocoon. I can’t break out my four walls.” That is what comfort is.
It is poison. It kills life.
- The fool says, “Truth does not exist,” and he never, hence, knows the Truth.
The wise man says, “Nothing but the Truth exists,” and he sees nothing but the Truth!
- There is no Home to be reached, you are Home. There is no liberation to be attained. You will never, never be liberated because you are already liberated.
- Realize that you are already in the Kingdom of Truth and then play the game of longing like an Avatar does.
- Man is designed to be a longing and he cannot be anything else. But right in middle of your longing realize that there is nothing to long for, because whatever is there to attain has already been attained. But you will long, you must long as long as you are a man. And do not think that a point will come in your life when the longing will cease.
- Nobody can control his mind. As a man you cannot, because the controlling agency itself is the mind. Where does the word control come from? Where does the urge to control come from? It is the mind. So even if you succeed in controlling it, it is the mind that is still controlling. So how can you say that you have controlled the mind?
- When you have forgotten all about the Truth, then you are in the Truth.
When you have forgotten all about Silence, then you are silent.
When even the word ‘peace’, when even the memory of peace does not occur to you,
then you are truly peaceful.
Everything else is just an image.
- Don’t wait for that grand and golden day when all your problems will be gone. In the middle of the problems, be problem free. That’s the way of living.
- Seeing is very subtle. Blocking and all are not needed. You must give it (mind) a lot of freedom. You must give it all freedom to run amok. Like an untamed bull, allow it go anywhere it wants to. You just keep riding the bull. That requires guts.
- Deepening of the ego, climaxing of the ego, does not mean that you have to wear more and more identities. On the contrary, it means that you are anyway wearing identities all the time; you just become conscious of them.
- This is the right moment. And this is the right point.
Wherever you are, is the gate.
There can be no bad time to do that only thing that deserves to be done. For all your worldly affairs, there are right times and wrong times, opportune moments and inopportune moments. For wisdom, how can there be any inopportune moment? Let the First be the first. Take care of That, and then do whatever you want to do.
- In awareness, whatever is chosen will be beautiful.
In awareness, whatever gets done is divine.
- The world is able to cheat you and deceive you only because you don’t observe it closely.
You are so afraid of the world, your morality prevents you from going close to the world.
You just want to maintain a particular image of the world without trying to know what the world factually and really is.
You do not go close to it.
- What has man been labelling as evil all these centuries?
He has been labelling himself as evil.
His desires, evil.
His very physical constitution, evil.
His forgetfulness, evil.
Seated in the Heart you do not call it evil anymore.
You say, “This is it!”
- Silence is not your doing. Silence is to leave all security. Silence is to live without any sense of what will happen next. Silence is to leave yourself to the mercy of existence. And when you do that you do come to know that existence is actually compassionate and knows more about you than you do, takes better care of you than you ever could.
- The more you are able to remove yourself, the more right will your choices be. The more there is the presence of you in your choices, the more is the guarantee that your choices will be the wrong choice.
- Once you discover your essential nature, that is when mind and body can freely and joyfully engage in doing what they must do.
- Knowing who you are, slowly you dis-identify with these limits. Kindly do not think that there would be miracles and the body would start getting free of its limits. Kindly do not think that you will grow wings and start flying. Kindly do not think that your mind would develop supernatural abilities or siddhis.
- Remember, any movement that is done by you without realizing your essential nature would be a useless, false and sorrowful movement. It might appear very holy and pious from the outside, but still it would be only bringing more and more suffering to you.
- Internally you must already be at the destination only then externally some movement can happen.
- The mind is moving and the Heart is relaxing. The mind is at the foot of the mountain, the Heart is at the top of the mountain. The Heart was always there. The mind is never really going to reach, so do not use the movement of the mind to try to know the location of the Heart. The mind can just be left free. I am repeating this for the third or fourth time, the movement of the mind tells nothing about the Heart but the Silence of the Heart is enough to guide the mind.
- It is not the events in the world but the position of the Watcher of the world that matters.
- Take care of the One and forget the many. Take care of the basic essential and forget the rest, it will be alright on its own.
- You want to live rightly, then know what is Important and take care only of that.
- All these things that we keep ourselves occupied with are just our own conspiracy against opening our eyes. Nobody ever got busy with anything except the false. You need not ask yourselves what you are busy with.
- What is certain is, if you are busy, you are busy with the false. The Truth never makes anybody busy, it is only the false that occupies you. It is only the false that gives you reasons.
Truth is unreasonable.
- What is purely imaginary, will lose its sting, the moment you see that it is merely ‘imaginary’.
- Anxiety is thought. The presence of thought implies the lack of attention.
All anxiety is imagination.
In understanding of the present, energetic action starts and anxiety disappears.
- The Teacher does not speak to confuse you. He has no interest in throwing riddles around. He wants to help you. So he has said something. His words are like the Truth – direct, obvious and simple. But to a complicated mind, the obvious and the simple makes no sense. To a complicated mind, the obvious and the simple becomes a great puzzle.
- The complicated mind cannot become one with the simple. The words of the Teacher arise from a point of innocence. With all your cleverness, how will you ever know those words?
- What comes from a certain point, can be understood only at that point. What comes from a certain depth of meditation, can be understood only at that depth.
Teacher is expressing thoughtlessness. If you had even a single thought while listening, just tell yourself that you have missed it.
- Student would understand the Teacher only when he is already the Teacher.
- If the Teacher is occupying your mind then remember that only falseness occupies the mind.
- The Teacher speaks from his aloneness and the student must listen from his aloneness. If the teacher is speaking to the student, he cannot speak, and if the student is listening to the teacher, he is surely not listening.
- Kabir offers so little to you because you are little. Kabir offers so little to you because what you think of as Kabir’s offering is just your own thinking.
- The Teacher just speaks; from nowhere, for nobody. It’s a useless, purposeless, miraculous sport, from nowhere and for nobody.
- Be real and be honest.
The scriptures are the easiest to understand because there is nothing to understand there.
The scriptures have the simplest of meanings because they have no meaning at all.
- You may be going out to sell an unworthy, misery furthering product or service. Do not think that you have made the fool of the customer. You have made a fool of yourself. And on the other hand if you are able to sell a product which gives joy, and alleviates suffering, then you have given something of value, not only to the customer, but also to yourself.
By helping others, you help yourself; by sinking others, you sink yourself.
- Faith does not answer questions, it laughs at them.
- Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
- Faith is not a word to be found in Zen vocabulary.
It is not a word to be found, it is the very essence of Zen, and that is why the word is absent.
When it permeates, really-really deeply, then the word gets deleted.
- The one who is asking for a proof, he will never get a proof. Who gets the proof? – The faithful. And who is faithful? – The one who remains after the questioner is gone.
- Witnessing is freedom from the unnecessary.
- ‘Witnessing’ is not active observation, witnessing is not like poking your nose.
Witnessing is complete relaxation.
- If there is one golden rule in life, remember this, it is –
‘You’ are unnecessary. ‘You’ are unnecessarily here. ‘You’ are not needed. Just get out. Your entire system is so beautiful and self-sufficient, it knows what to do. Why are ‘you’ interfering? The eyes, the nose, the mind, the intellect, they all know their respective functions. When ‘you’ leave them alone, they are so happy.
The memory knows how to operate; the mind knows how to think. They all know what to do. Why are ‘you’ worried? Why can’t ‘you’ just relax? Give yourself freedom and see how beautifully the entire thing operates. You will walk, you will talk, you will read, you will do everything. And you will find that it is happening so nicely, when you are allowing it to happen, without ‘you’.
- If you want to do anything really substantial, really meaningful in life, then it cannot be driven by reason, it cannot be driven by a tangible goal.
It can really only be driven by a very unreasonable fire in the Heart.
- Compassion can arise only when first of all you have a deep sense of inner rootedness and health.
- Compassion for others is Joy for oneself.
- Work for yourself and you will not be able to work even for yourself. Work for others and you will be able to work for others and for yourself. The punishment of those who want personal welfare is that they will not get even personal welfare. But want it for everybody, everybody gets it and you get more than you had ever desired for yourself.
- Those who try to conserve, they find that they are always short of what they are trying to conserve.
Those who are willing to give, find that, miraculously, they keep on discovering more and more to give.
- When the mind is deeply occupied, and the object seems all-important, just ask: “Is it really necessary?”
Then Let go of all that is not.
- If it doesn’t matter how many times you have done it, then will doing it another time, increase the chances of fulfilment? Your chances of fulfilment, through an activity, are zero; absolutely zero. It doesn’t matter how many times you do it, you would still be standing at zero.
- The frog you want to avoid is the princess of your deepest desires.
- Real changes comes not from your effort but from your Surrender.
- The world can redeem itself only by placing the highest value on the Guru.
- Healthy relationship is possible only to a healthy mind.
- Hope promises change, but is an agent of continuity.
- Seated already on the mountain top, why suffer dreams of climbing.
- You, as a form, can respect the Formless only by respecting His forms.
- Only by seeing the falseness of otherness, you are able to help the other.
- Sickness can be cured only by the touch of Health.
- Rejection of the false and living in the True are inseparable and concurrent.
- When life lacks the Essential then it tries to compensate with exotic.
- The movement from concentration to attention is freedom from false identification.
- Realisation sublimates the doer; the doing changes by itself.
- Running the same circle again and again will not take you beyond the circle.
- The false desires the Truth in desiring the disappearance of Truth.
- With the Beloved in your Heart,
it is Leela to engage with all and sundry.