Jesus said to the Serpent:
“We have given Adam and Eve the chance to still live without eternal perdition, contrary to the way it was done to you.”
The first question is from Nimisha.
Dear Acharya Ji, Pranam.
Jesus said to the Serpent “We have given Adam and Eve the chance to still live without eternal perdition, contrary to the way it was done to you”.
The context is that Adam and Eve made a mistake. Disobeyed the advice that was given to them. Became too attracted to the fruit of knowledge and hence were punished, and Jesus is saying that the punishment is given to Adam and the Eve is smaller than the punishment given to the Serpent who has been now sentenced to live in eternal perdition, which means eternal spiritual ruin.
So, Nimisha is asking:
Why was a chance given to an Adam and Eve and not to the Serpent when all are children of God and belong to the one?
Nimisha, a good parent will send many of his children to the playground, and once they are playing he’ll not interfere to violate the ‘laws of the game.’ The law of the fruits of action, the law of karmphal(fruits of the doing) is inviolable. Even God does not grossly interfere with that. You get rid of the fruits of your action only if you are deep in prayer, deep in surrender. Deep surrender means that you have surrendered the very depth of your ego, and then you are no more the same person who was. The doer himself is changed, is gone.
So, obviously now the fruits of the doing cannot apply to him. Only in this particular condition is the ‘law of Karma’ breached. Otherwise there are no exceptions. Adam and Eve had a decision to make a choice. The Serpent too had a choice. We all have a choice. While there is all the freedom in making the choice, you can always say yes to the Truth, or no to the Truth. You can always say, ‘yes’ to temptation, or ‘no’ to temptation. You can depend on God or you can depend on the Serpent, that freedom is always there.
Parallely, one also must bear what comes along with that freedom – the consequences of one’s actions. Adam and Eve were tempted. So they were expelled from the great garden. They allowed temptation to get hold of them. So they were discarded, expelled to earth that does not mean that their punishment is over. On the earth again a million temptations lie. The situation of Adam and Eve can still be worse than that of the Serpent. If they continue trusting knowledge, and personal intelligence more than divine advise, then the worst hell is possible even on earth.
You have people on earth who are leading lives more perfidious than that of the Serpent. So it’s not as if a distinction has been made. It’s not as if a final judgment has been passed in which Adam and Eve has been handed over a more lenient punishment compared to the Serpent who has been greatly punished. The chance of redemption is always there. It is always said. All the teachers will impress upon the listeners that freedom is always round the corner. They would tell the disciple that it’s possible to be free here and now. The exact opposite is also true. Just as freedom is always round the corner, similarly, eternal damnation is also always round the corner. It is a moment’s decision.
Man is always, in that way, in a flux. All the virtues and freedoms that one might have earned for himself can be lost in a split second. Nothing would remain. Just as the worst of offenders can be ideally, possibly, liberated in a split second. So do not be too sure about the fate of Adam and the fate of the Serpent. We are all Adams for we all are his descendants.
The judgment process is always on.
As I said, millions of Adams are leading life worse than that of the Serpent. And apparently, it’s a moment’s fault.
You must go one way, you decide to go another way. You must say one thing, you decide to say another thing. You must act one way, you curbed your action and let something else act through you. Life keeps on becoming hellish. Hell too is a progression. One keeps sinking into deeper and deeper recesses of hell.
So you have asked why was the chance given to Adam and Eve and not to the Serpent?
It’s not as if one chance is given.
Every moment is a chance.
You’ve asked why was chance given to Adam and Eve and not to the Serpent? Every moment is a chance. See what you’re doing with the chance.
The moment is liberation, the day of judgment does not come once. It does not come after a time. The day of judgment is at the end of time.And end of time, timelessness, is a continuity beneath time.
So the judgment is always and continuously happening. Chances are always there and all the chances are asking for a response from you.
Your response determines who you are.
Your response determines how you live, whether you live, whether you are with God or with the Serpent, whether you abide in heaven, earth or hell.
-Excerpts from a ‘Shabd-Yoga’ session. Edited for clarity
Watch the session: Acharya Prashant on Jesus Christ: Why was the Serpent not given a chance?
Connect to Acharya Prashant:
1. Advait Learning Camps (ALC): Advait Learning Camps are monthly 4-day retreats under the guidance of Acharya Prashant in the Himalayas. To participate in the camps, Contact Sh. Anshu Sharma: +91-8376055661 or Sh. Vishal Soam: +91-9358866667
2. Course in Realization (CIR): Course in Realization is a seven-day scripture based learning program led by Acharya Prashant. To join, either physically or online, contact Sh. Apaar: +91-9818591240
3. Month of AwakeninG (MAG): Attend Satsangs from Home! MAG is an online series of discourses on handpicked topics by Acharya Prashant on practical and relevant topics like Love, Fear, Achievement etc. To join the online discourses, contact: Sushri Anoushka Jain: +91-9818585917 +91-9818585917
4. Meet the Master (MTM): Meet the Master is an opportunity to meet and seek detailed guidance from Acharya Prashant, either in person or online. Contact: Sushri Anoushka Jain: +91-9818585917
5. Blessings from Beyond: Weekends with Acharya Prashant brings you the unique opportunity for a 2 day 2 night stay with the Master every month. It involves two mystical days of dynamic activities, explorations of the self, sports, meditative reading, deep reflections, midnight walks and more.
Contact Sushri. Hiba Khan: +91-8512828430
Venue: Advait Bodhsthal, Greater Noida, India.
6. A Day With Master: A day with the Master’ is a rare opportunity for genuine seekers from all over the world to spend 12 hours with the Master at the Advait BodhSthal Ashram – Greater Noida.
To register yourself, to spend the day with the Master, send in your request at email@example.com
call at: Shri Anmol Phutela: +91-8859069127, Shri Mohd Azaz: +91-9871952116
7. Triyog: Daily morning 2 hour Yoga feast for your total well-being. Comprising of Hatha Yog, Bhakti Yog, and Gyan Yog.
Contact: Shri Kundan Singh: +91-9999102998
Venue: Advait Bodhsthal, Greater Noida, India.
To join any of the above programs, send your specified application to:
Books by the Speaker are available at: