Question: If I want to do something, I plan that and do every planning. I know what will I get and if I don’t do like that with planning and all with full botheration or with consideration, that will not get the result as I want, then I don’t know what should I do, as spiritually it is right. Without botheration, if I want to do that work, what should be there in my mind?
Acharya Prashant: No,
Bother fully, plan fully and execute fully with all your mind but remember fully that neither the action nor the result of the action, can mean much to you. Neither can it reduce you, nor can it enhance you.
What is the fun in playing the game if you are not playing wholeheartedly?
Even if you are playing with a kid, the kid feels insulted if he comes to know that you are not playing with all your heart. Even in the most casual of games, you must be fully engaged. So, be fully engaged, give everything, every ounce of your energy, every last drop contained in your cells to what you are doing, apply all your intellect, there is no need to detest planning, plan with all your might but in the middle of all this, remain fully convinced that this cannot give much to you nor can it take away much from you. Which will be little paradoxical, a little hard to manage, right?
So you are playing the game with all your might and yet are a little away, a little unconcerned, you are fully concerned yet you are remembering that it is just a game.
We often wonder whether that would take away our intensity, no it does not, all it takes away is the noise surrounding your intensity. You see when we work towards something that matters a lot to us, there is not only the application of energy but also a lot of dissipation of energy. Have you not noticed that? Have you ever seen a man trying hard to arrange or manage or execute something that is really meaningful to him? Have you seen how much of energy he wastes and this wastage, he includes as a part of his application?
He says “see how hard I am working”. The fact is that out of 10 units of time energy and attention you give to the entire work, only 3 or 4 really went into the work. The other part went into worrying about the work, worrying about the consequences, licking your own wounds, shouting at someone, managing your own contradictions, that is what sucks out a lot of energy. Unfortunately, this energy which is being lost in miscellaneous tasks is accounted for by the inner accountant as energy that is needed for the task. Are you getting it?
There is an inner accountant which says, you need 10 units of energy for this task. The fact is you needed only 3 units, 7 units were there just to be dissipated or squandered away but those 7 are also written under the same head. It says towards the task, towards the mission. It is a false accounting.
The spiritual man, the centered mind invests just 5 units of energy. So from the outside, it would look as if he has lost a bit of intensity because earlier he was using how many units?
Listeners in unison: 10
AP: Now he is using only?
Listeners in unison: 5
AP: But all these 5 are now going only into that which is necessary. He is not using them to burn himself up. Like a car engine which has become more efficient in burning the fuel. So from the same liter of fuel, it is deriving more energy because it is not wasting. We waste so much. That is why observing oneself is so much important. How much of time, how much of mind just goes into totally random pursuits and this randomness is so deceptive, it never calls itself randomness. It says I am purposeful action. So, don’t worry if you appear like losing intensity. Your work would still get done in a better way.
Before you enter anything that you do, never fail in telling yourself that existentially, you do not need to do it, that whether this were not to be done or this were to fail, you would remain what you are. Be totally convinced within that no outcome is going enhance you or belittle you, and then plunge into it. Like you plunge into a wrestling match with your 4-year-old daughter. Have you not seen mothers do that? A great challenge has been set up. The mother is there and the 4-year-old daughter is there. Now there is going to be a wrestling match and often the daughter wins. I used to have boxing matches with my younger brother and he would always win, he had to. What does that take away from you, what can that give you?
Listener: Just joy.
AP: If you look for joy out there, you can keep looking and looking is such a past time. Your entire life can pass in looking.
My task is to disappoint you.
You will not get it there. Not because it is impossible to have it but because you already have it.
-Excerpts from a ‘Shabd-Yoga’ session. Edited for clarity
Connect to Acharya Prashant:
1. Advait Learning Camps (ALC): Advait Learning Camps are monthly 4-day retreats under the guidance of Acharya Prashant in the Himalayas. To participate in the camps, Contact Sh. Anshu Sharma: +91-8376055661 or Sh. Vishal Soam: +91-9358866667
2. Course in Realization (CIR): Course in Realization is a seven-day scripture based learning program led by Acharya Prashant. To join, either physically or online, contact Sh. Apaar: +91-9818591240
3. Month of AwakeninG (MAG): Attend Satsangs from Home! MAG is an online series of discourses on handpicked topics by Acharya Prashant on practical and relevant topics like Love, Fear, Achievement etc. To join the online discourses, contact: Sushri Anoushka Jain: +91-9818585917 +91-9818585917
4. Meet the Master (MTM): Meet the Master is an opportunity to meet and seek detailed guidance from Acharya Prashant, either in person or online. Contact: Sushri Anoushka Jain: +91-9818585917
5. Blessings from Beyond: Weekends with Acharya Prashant brings you the unique opportunity for a 2 day 2 night stay with the Master every month. It involves two mystical days of dynamic activities, explorations of the self, sports, meditative reading, deep reflections, midnight walks and more.
Contact Sushri. Hiba Khan: +91-8512828430
Venue: Advait Bodhsthal, Greater Noida, India.
6. A Day With Master: A day with the Master’ is a rare opportunity for genuine seekers from all over the world to spend 12 hours with the Master at the Advait BodhSthal Ashram – Greater Noida.
To register yourself, to spend the day with the Master, send in your request at email@example.com
call at: Shri Anmol Phutela: +91-8859069127, Shri Mohd Azaz: +91-9871952116
7. Triyog: Daily morning 2 hour Yoga feast for your total well-being. Comprising of Hatha Yog, Bhakti Yog, and Gyan Yog.
Contact: Shri Kundan Singh: +91-9999102998
Venue: Advait Bodhsthal, Greater Noida, India.
To join any of the above programs, send your specified application to:
Books by the Speaker are available at: