- “Plans of future come from the fears of the past.”
- “How do you know that what you call as ‘good’ is actually good?
All running after ‘becoming good’ is running towards hell.”
- “Ask for only the Highest, and you’ll get it.
If you are not getting what you are asking for, then surely you are not asking for the Highest.”
- “The world cannot give you anything. There is nothing to be attained here except to get rid of all that you have already attained.”
- “The misdirected craving for inner fulfillment becomes external attachment.”
- “Desires are bad deals. To get something which is worth five rupees, you trade away something which is worth five crore. To earn bread and butter, you trade away your precious life. To earn a little respect and acceptability, you trade away your precious youth. Never say: ‘I have earned something in the world’, for earning is such an illusion. What you really have, you do not earn. In the world, whatever you get you get through trading, not through earning. It’s just barter, a loss-making exchange.”
- “You do not know ambition; all you know is some petty desires. All that you know is desire for some petty limited sum of money, some possessions, some this and that. Because ultimately whatever you want is quantifiable – just a number. Even the highest that you can think of, is just a number.
You do not really know ambition. Ambition in its purest form means Immensity. Ambition in its purest form means desiring only the Highest; desiring right till the end of desire; desiring That which will bring a fullstop to the desire.”
- “When your desire is of the limited, then it is called ambition.
When your desire is of the unlimited, it is called devotion.”
- “As you are, you are bound to have goals. I cannot advice you to not to have goals. Because it is impossible for you. It is impractical for you. You will need goals. Given your constitution, your stage in life, the makeup of your mind, you will need goals.
And if you must have a goal then the goal must be goalessness.”
- “A spiritual man is a really ambitious man.”
- “If life is dull and lacks ease today, why seek a cure in the future? Problem is in the now, solve it in the now.
Ambition is a false medicine.”
- “The profit is the highest when you trade the imaginary for the Real.
Get rid of imaginations like fear, hope, ambition, and find Real Joy.”
- “Man is a restlessness.
It can either make man go to its ultimate cause and produce a Buddha.
Or, it can become ambition and destroy man.”
- “Excellence comes from enjoyment.
Enjoyment is immersion in the present.
Ambition is in future away from present.
Ambition kills excellence.”
- “The climate of joy is the absence of ambition and achievement.”
- “Ambition: Dream water quenching dream thirst.”
- “We have a tremendous potential to suffer. And a tremendous resistance to call our situation as suffering. We name our situation as ambition, hope, desire, duty, passion, love, but never give it the right name – suffering.
We laugh aloud among others, and suffer quietly in our loneliness.”
- “Disown the self, disown the actions of the self, and disown the shame associated with the actions. Shame only reinforces the ego. Shame comes out of a misplaced belief that you are better than your action. Just observe the games of the self, naked, shamelessly. Freedom from ego and freedom from shame go together. The entire game of ambition and progress comes from an urge to overcome one’s sense of shame. This life-drama is nothing but shame being played all around.
Disown shame, disown this shameful life.”
- “God is man’s highest ambition.”
- “‘Let me improve myself. Let me get a glorious future. Let me try to achieve something.’ The entire game of ambition, originates from this ‘guilt’.
So, do you see that how these are connected?
Freedom from ownership is also then freedom from future, because freedom from ownership is also freedom from ambition.”
- “We never want anything new. Never does the brain want anything new because it cannot want anything new. It can only want that which it has some kind of experience of it. But yes, you know it will want to reconfigure it. But just reconfiguration doesn’t mean anything new. New is new, new is new only when it is totally unrelated to the past.”
- “There is nothing wrong with ambition except that it is not new, not fresh. Being ambitious is like asking for repetition of the past. That is the only thing wrong with ambition. You believe that you are ambitious and you want to create a new future for yourself, but that can happen only in intelligence that cannot be a product of conditioning. That cannot be a product of conditioning. And the one who is living intelligently, anyway gets a wonderful future. He doesn’t desire, he doesn’t plan it. He just gets it as a surprise gift. A beautiful and wonderful future he gets. But not a future that has been pre-planned for him, that has already been scripted for him by others.”
- “Ambition is nothing but the great granddaddy of the desire.”
These quotes have come from talks and writings of Acharya Prashant