- “Body is memory, body is conditioning. Let the conditioned remain conditioned, but ‘you’ must operate on awareness.
Memory is not a substitute for awareness.”
- “To know the false as false, is the movement into the Truth.”
- “Being what you are, you will be found where you must be.
So instead of worrying about your whereabouts, you should be concerned about ‘Who Am I?’.”
- “Be alert in the small things, small moments. Be cautious of the small traps.”
- “If your sleepy eyes are full of dreams, you will not like the Sun rising.”
- “Pleasure thrives only when you do not understand it. It gets its sustenance from darkness. You don’t have to kill it; you just have to know it. And to know it, you throw some light upon it and you find that the pleasure is gone. Try that! Next time when you are drawing pleasure from something or somebody or some action, stop and look at it. No, you don’t have to condemn it, not justify it. Just look at it. Look at it and you may find that pleasure is no more.”
- “Leela is to put your heart, soul, complete energy and complete attention into it despite knowing that it is a game that you can never-never win.
This is Leela: ‘I know that I can never win it. I know that I will be beaten and defeated at every step, at every point. I know that I will be betrayed, I know that I will be let down and yet every single drop of blood that I have, my flesh, my bones, my body, my discretion, my heart all are devoted to what I am doing’.
Then you know that you have known the game to be Leela.”
- “Observation is not meant to comfort you. Observation is not meant to keep you nicely settled in your sofa. Observation will shake you up and that is why people don’t want to observe. Observation enables Right action. Observation must disturb you. It must shake you up into action.”
- “When I say, “Go out and watch” and when I say, “Go in and watch”, I mean: Watch so that you know what you need to do.
Watch out so that you know that the world needs change.
And watch yourself so that you know that the outer change will only follow inner change.”
- “‘Here and now’ does not really pertain to an objective reality because there is no objective reality. ‘Here and now’ pertains to the state of mind that the mind is in. All that here and now means is that when the mind is in a particular state, then that state is all that there is. Mind is in temptation; then temptation is all that there is. Mind is in anger; anger is all that there is. Here and now simply means that be alert to what is in the mind.”
- “Observation turns into understanding when the distance between you and your object reduces. How does that happen? That happens when the boundary that you have built, the boundary that you call as ‘I’, the boundary that separates you from the object, that boundary comes down. That is the point when you understand.”
- “The Sun never rises for closed eyes.”
- “To understand something, observe without concluding.”
- “Spirituality is science turned inwards – it looks at both the subject and the object.”
- “What is attention?
The determination of mind to understand.
What is meditation?
That which begins as attention and ends as understanding.”
- “Attention is the urge of the mind to relax into understanding.”
- “Attention is the bridge between thought and understanding.”
- “In attention, your old patterns cease to work. Your conditioned grooves are flattened. The filth on your eyes is cleared. It is cleansing of the highest kind. You are dissolved, cleansed of yourself. You are being washed in your own dissolution. That is Aatmsnaan (self-purification). That is why it is said that attention washes away all your sins of the past. Aatmsnaan is attention. The stains of the past actions cease to bother you in understanding.”
- “Attention is the key. In deep immersion, mind stops its usual fare. Time and space as mental constructs too disappear.”
- “Reality does not exist independently of observing activity- called attention. Reality is born when attention comes in close contact with it. Attention is sensitivity. To be attentive is to be vulnerable, open. It means a lot of hurt. It is important not to suppress that hurt.”
- “Attention solves the problem, ego takes the credit.”
- “All desires originate from forgetting that I already have it.
Only in Attention I feel complete, remembering who I am and what I already have.”
- “Tools and techniques can help in entering into attention, but tools and techniques cannot substitute attention.”
- “Life is a role-play; only in attention are the roles chosen wisely.”
- “In inattention, there is nobody to know the ego.
In attention, there is no ego to be known.
Ego can never be really encountered.”
- “Looking attentively at the world, one enters the Truth beyond world.”
- “Stop seeking, start seeing. The obvious.”
- “Are you what you think you are?
Look again, sharply.”
- “Don’t ask: What should I do?
Just ask: What am I doing? What have I been doing? What do I always do?”
- “Won’t you first want to check out the facts?
Or, would you rather live your life based on stories?
Whatever calls you is worthy of your attention.
Honestly enquire, ‘What it is’.
That would enable one of two things – if it’s a worthy candidate to attract you, your attraction to that thing would deepen, and if it’s unworthy, then the attraction would drop.
- “Listening is sufficient. But if you will analyse and make these words an object, then you will miss. If you’ll keep analysing whether I’m getting the answer to my question then you will miss. Because you will not realise what corresponds to what.Does the sweet aroma of the flower know that it is arising from the ordinary soil? So the gardener is coming with some fertiliser, with some manure to the plant, and the flower is wondering, “How will it help me? I need to be more brightly coloured, I need to be more fragrant and this fellow is dumping soil! How can soil contribute to brightness? How can soil contribute to fragrance?”You never know.You don’t know.Which word cures what, you will never know, so just pay attention. If you think you are smart enough to be selective in listening then you’re making an idiot of yourself. You will never know what cures what. You will never know what contributes to what. And you will never know that in your inattentiveness you have missed what. You’ll just miss and you’ll think: Oh! What I missed was quite unimportant. Like in a detective movie, you do not know what is unfolding, and you missed fifteen minutes out of the two-hour movie and you think: No, no, no those fifteen minutes were quite unimportant. It has to be a very lousy movie if fifteen minutes are unimportant in it. And because it is a mysterious story how can you know what exactly you have missed, can you know? But you’re so smart, you know, you think: I can pick and choose. I can select what is important for me. I will decide. I can come thirty minutes late. I can pay attention to my own questions and I can remain clumsy when other questions are being answered; I know what is important for me.Had you known so much, why would you still have questions?You never know what will hit where, so just be attentive. And every moment is a moment of attention.”
- “You cannot skip life, even for a moment. And it is easy, it is effortless. It is as effortless as the beating of the heart, as effortless as breathing.
Attention is no workout. Attention is not a demanding activity.
Attention is simple, effortless; you just have to be present.
And when you are simply present, then you know what the whole game is all about.”
- “You don’t need to learn to stand still; you need to unlearn what you have acquired, and that is easy.
A little bit of attention, a little bit of fearlessness, that comes from Faith, and you’re Home.”
- “The moment you start knowing, unloading starts happening.Attention is the key to unloading.”
- “There is only one way to know – to let intelligence operate in attention.”
- “If you already believe, you cannot know.Belief is an enemy of attention.”
- “The movement from concentration to attention is freedom from false identification.”
- “Anxiety is thought. The presence of thought implies the lack of attention.
All anxiety is imagination.
In understanding of the present, energetic action starts and anxiety disappears.”
- “Attention must be like heartbeat, continuous and quiet.”
- “You can be attentive really only on the Truth.
To be attentive is to attend only to the Truth, to have only the Truth as your priority.
Attention is another name for Devotion and Surrender.”
- “Attention is a thing of the Heart.Attention is about keeping your ego surrendered.”
- “Attention is to be with perfection within.”
“Acknowledge, when love comes to overpower you; and acknowledge, when evil dominates you.
Acknowledge both of them!”
- “Attention is love.”
- “Attention will come like a gap in the memory.”
- “Concentration is self-centered activity, aimed at protection of the self. Attention also involves being greatly with the world but without a center in the self. The difference is subtle, but the difference says everything.”
- “What is full, does not demand your attention. What is full, does not make you restless, crazy, eager to seek a solution. What is full, just comes to a full stop. What is full, allows you to relax and retire. In fullness lies peace.”
- “Attention simply means that the mind is surrendered. And after surrender whatever the mind does, that is called attention.”
- “When you are attentive towards yourself, then you are compassionate towards the entire world.”
- “When you are really curious in your inquiry that is also not attention. Attention is when you want to reach the utter depth and you will not stop at any point in between. Attention is when you say that I have to reach the very truth which is at the foundation of anything.”
- “The monkey does not exist without the attention that you give to it. The monkey is the attention that you give to it. The resistance that you give to any particular thought is exactly the energy that that thought carries. You give no resistance to it and thought will fall down on its own.”
- “When you hear it with great attention, you hear not only what is being said but also the space in which it is being said.”
- “In attention, the full moon shines.”
- “Inattention will always seek a solution and the solution is attention.”
- “Attention and faith, if either of these is missing, then life remains incomplete.”
- “Practice is just attention. If you are attentive, then it is always there. It is not there, only when the mind is elsewhere.”
- “If you are unhappy, if you find yourself bored, if you can pay attention, the reason is only this. You are what you are. Don’t give it a name. Don’t label it. Don’t define yourself according to a situation. Don’t define yourself according to relationships. Don’t define yourself according to your gender, or date of birth, or age, or educational qualification. Whenever you will do all that, you’ll find you are under the obligation to keep on switching faces. And that is such a burden.”
These quotes have come from talks and writings of Acharya Prashant