- “Joy is happiness without reason. It is a subtle happiness arising from nowhere. It is so subtle that it really cannot even be called happiness. In that sense, joy is just an emptiness – empty of sadness, and empty even of happiness.”
- “Those who don’t have God, they don’t even miss God. Missing is a privilege. A saint sings songs of missing him, a common man doesn’t. The common man doesn’t miss God at all. The common man is happy and occupied in his worldly truthless, godless life.”
- “Renunciation says: Neither happy, nor sad.
Realisation says: Happy when happy, sad when sad.
In dropping something, mind makes it important.”
- “You yourself are happiness and sorrow.”
- “To move as per, and towards, our conditioning is what we call ‘happiness’.”
- “Peace is not happiness; it is freedom from both happiness and sadness.”
- “Happiness is conditional and is dependent on sadness.
Joy watches all duality – happiness and sadness – and smiles.”
- “A great obscenity of language is to coin the word ‘joy’, a concept.
The greatest obscenity is to put ‘happiness’ as a synonym of joy.”
- “Entertainment is to Enjoyment
what happiness is to Joy,
what attachment is to Love,
what knowledge is to Awareness,
what fact is to Truth.”
- “One does not chase what one already has.
One chases happiness only when one is sad.
Sadness is the cause of all happiness.
And vice versa.”
- “To be more happy, be more sad. Such is happiness- a mere relief from sadness. Loose it, then find it, become happy.
What’s beyond this duality?”
- “To be happy is to be sad. Happy and sad are not distinct words at all. Happy-sad is a more correct description of the mind.”
- “Mind lives in images.
Happiness is pleasurable imagination.
Imagination is dissonance from reality.
Dissonance causes sadness.
Happy is Sad.”
- “Joy is the vast space in which both happiness and sadness come and go.
If you must be sad, be joyfully sad.”
- “Can there be happiness except in a background of sorrow?
Without sorrow, our happiness’s would vanish.
Is there beyondness from these two?”
- “The new, the happiness that you are looking for, will not come through experience, will not come through time; it comes when you are a little less insistent upon cheating yourself.”
- “There is no search as ignorant, as useless and as tragic as the search for happiness.
Happiness is a mirage that appears only from a distance.”
- “If you want to have the pleasure of happiness you would also have to claim that you’re unhappy when you’re not happy.”
- “Nobody has ever laughed except in tears.”
- “Faith is not about being happy. Faith is not happiness because happiness is not something that can be independent of a reason. If you are always happy, then you will not call yourself happy. Happiness is by definition, must come and go. And hence it is reason dependent. For a reason it comes, for another reason it goes away.”
- “You are experiencing your happiness only because you have been suffering terribly.”
- “Just get rid of the sadness. Don’t chase happiness.”
These quotes have come from talks and writings of Acharya Prashant