- “The Total is greater than the sum of the parts. Two plus two is five.
The extra one is the juice of life.
It is Grace.”
- “I enquire about you. Even the power of enquiry is yours.
The only joy I get is the joy of seeing you. That joy too is yours.
What do I do?”
- “Compassion is knowing that suffering is not necessary, and that the mind can attain to its natural joy.
Love is the mind radiating that joy.”
- “Facts are material; facts are dualistic; facts are supplied to you by your senses. Facts might take you to the door of the Truth but facts by themselves are not the Truth. ‘Now’ is not the present, and facts are not the Truth. To say that facts are the truth and ‘now’ is the present, is to say that material is the final reality, and if material is the ultimate Truth, then there can be no Love, Freedom or Joy because none of these are material.
There can be no Love in facts. There can be no Freedom in facts.”
- “The more clearly you state to me that such and such people are inhibiting your freedom, hampering your growth, stealing your joy, the more obliged you become to answer the question: Why then are you with them?
I will tell you, why you are with them:
Because you are so corrupted that you want all the benefits that come from their company and parallelly you also want to insult and humiliate them. You take all that can be taken from them and then you sing to the world that they are exploiting you.
Who is exploiting whom?”
- “Joy is happiness without reason. It is a subtle happiness arising from nowhere. It is so subtle that it really cannot even be called happiness. In that sense, joy is just an emptiness – empty of sadness, and empty even of happiness.”
- “Would a map be useful if it were exactly as the Earth?
The Real can never be useful. The fake is useful.
Joy, Love, Freedom have no use.”
- “Joy is to retain one’s health even in middle of all kinds of diseases and diseased.”
- “The profit is the highest when you trade the imaginary for the Real.
Get rid of imaginations like fear, hope, ambition, and find Real Joy.”
- “It is not enough to just decry the two ends of duality as false.
One must live the joy of knowing this.
This knowing makes True of the false.”
- “I was so much into pleasure I never cared to enjoy.
Pleasure is brain machine repeating the secure past.
Enjoyment is to watch this machine.”
- “Seriousness is fear. Excellence comes from enjoyment.”
- “Excellence comes from enjoyment.
Enjoyment is immersion in the present.
Ambition is in future away from present.
Ambition kills excellence.”
- “Enjoyment is Excellence.
Easy is Right.”
- “Joy is the vast space in which both happiness and sadness come and go.
If you must be sad, be joyfully sad.”
- “The climate of joy is the absence of ambition and achievement.”
- “What is always available becomes unavailable.
Unavailability is the door to the joy of availability.”
- “Joy is not a product of conditioning. Joy is not a product of anything. Joy does not depend on situations.
Joy is not stupid. Joy is reasonless.”
- “Only in awareness is material enjoyable.”
- “The stupid one thinks of himself and lives in the confusion of concepts.
The wise one simply knows himself and lives in the joy of clarity.”
- “You think you give birth to children? You think you proliferate the human race by procreating? No. It’s not kids that you produce, its suffering that you breed. Please see that we perpetuate suffering through procreation. The urge to procreate itself arises from an inner vacuüm, an insecurity, an existential suffering. What arises from suffering will only give birth to suffering. What arises from joy spreads joy.
Rare is the child that arises from joy.”
- “Desire is incomplete, Joy complete.”
- “Whatever you choose will bring sorrow to you. Joy springs in choicelessness.”
- “What is liberation? Joy of life- simple, direct, ordinary.
Any search for a special is futile and deceptive.
Be liberated from your search.”
- “To the worldly man, the world is a continuous problem, a buzzing tension.
To the wise man, the world is joyful revelation, a continuous relaxation.”
- “What is joy?
The celebration of mind on being free from itself.”
- “What is right action?
That which comes out of a joyful remembrance of the Real.
Or, from a painful experience of separation from the Real.”
- “Man is the only creature who thinks he has to do something to enjoy himself.”
- “To scratch an itch is pleasure.
Pleasure arises from disease.
To not to have an itch is joy.
Joy is health.”
- “What we call as knowing, or being awake, is just a burden upon the mind.
Great joy lies in not knowing, not being awake, even while awake.”
- “Even though suffering is the natural consequence of the ego, and fodder of the ego, yet suffering can open the door to realisation.
Suffering is a violation of your joyful fundamental nature, hence it arouses you, it can make you alert, more conscious.”
- “Nobody ever sells you anything except hope. A promise is what you buy. Every product is a promise – of love, of contentment, of freedom. Your hope makes you a slave of salvation-sellers.
Just be hopeless, and enjoy freedom.”
- “And finally, the only important question is: Did you get the joke?
If yes, there is just joy.
Else, there are morals, targets, safety, future…”
- “The sacred is most terrifying. And it is also that which frees from all fear.
The sacred plunges you in sorrow. It is also the utmost joy.”
- “Happiness is conditional and is dependent on sadness.
Joy watches all duality – happiness and sadness – and smiles.”
- “When I don’t lurk around probing,
Nor stalk in salacious achieving,
It’s just Joy experiencing it’s Joy,
Truth in it’s own innocence shining.”
- “When one is joyful, there are no aims left.
In the deep moment of love too, there are no aims.”
- “Man does not know God. Man can only think of God, and in this he makes two ungodly mistakes:
(i) His mind is limited and lazy, and cannot know the material reality beyond a point. So, he postulates that there are certain material things that are beyond the mind. So, he builds a character called God – as a creator of things. All religions have done that.
(ii) Occasionally the mind does get startled by a whiff of the non-material. It chances upon love, it flies in freedom, it dances in joy. It realises that there is something beyond the material. But it declares that the imperceptible, the non-material, the ineffable, too can be contained in the mind. So, using the mind, it embellishes the God character and writes stories about that character. The first mistake happens because we keep feeling small and incapable. We suffer from such an inferiority complex that we can’t even admit that a human gave birth to Jesus. The moment we come across an Upanishad, a Quran, a Bible, we relegate them to divine authorship to escape from them. And the second mistake happens because we are damn arrogant. We want to capture the Ultimate in the mind. We want to claim we know God.”
- “When sadness comes, don’t be afraid, don’t resist it. Boldly experience the depths of sadness, let the sadness penetrate you fully.
In the depths of sadness, there is great joy.”
- “A great obscenity of language is to coin the word ‘joy’, a concept.
The greatest obscenity is to put ‘happiness’ as a synonym of joy.”
- “Entertainment is to Enjoyment
what happiness is to Joy,
what attachment is to Love,
what knowledge is to Awareness,
what imagination is to Truth.”
- “A joyful spontaneous dance appears chaotic to a mind habituated to patterns.
The seer sees a beautiful intrinsic order in the same dance.”
- “Flow is there, nobody to flow.”
“Deep suffering opens Joy for you.
Anything that is deep enough, takes you to Joy. It only needs to be deep. It does not matter what it is.”
“Our society does not like open expressions of suffering. That is why we always pretend that we are happy. That is why whenever someone asks us, “How are you doing?,” rarely do we say, “Very badly!”.
It is a mutual deception. We keep proving to each other that we are happy. There is no obligation to prove to others that you are happy. If you are happy for a while, it is inevitable that sadness is going to come next. When sadness comes, live it fully. Now you will know what sadness is, and in that knowing, there is Joy.”
- “Joy is the mind’s closeness to the Truth. Joy cannot be evil.”
- “Enlightenment is not one event, it is a continuity in one empty Joy.”
- “Joy is the taste of Ultimate madness.”
- “My only duty, if there can be a duty at all, is being devoted to the Truth. And when you are devoted to the Truth, there is Joy in return, not suffering.
Your only duty is complete Surrender to the Absolute.”
- “You rest within yourself, and the rest will be taken care of.
That is the secret of Joyful relationships.
Forget everything about relationships, and your relationships will really blossom.”
- “What is suffering? An ignorant refusal of Joy.”
- “Once you discover your essential nature, that is when mind and body can freely and joyfully engage in doing what they must do.”
- “You may be going out to sell an unworthy, misery furthering product or service. Do not think that you have made the fool of the customer. You have made a fool of yourself. And on the other hand if you are able to sell a product which gives joy, and alleviates suffering, then you have given something of value, not only to the customer, but also to yourself.
By helping others, you help yourself; by sinking others, you sink yourself.”
- “Compassion for others is Joy for oneself.”
- “‘Whatever is going on, I remain joyful’, that is gratitude.”
- “Finally all that matters is can you touch something with Love?
Can you be really free while talking to a stranger?
Can you not be afraid of your own Joy?”
- “When fun is divine, you call it as Joy.”
- “Joy is the love affair of life with death.”
- “When you are surrendered to That, Truth smiles in your laughter.
When you are surrendered to That, Joy cries in your tears.Now laugh, now cry.”
- “If you look for joy out there, you will keep looking.”
- “The one who runs away from life’s challenges is also running away from life’s joys. And thinking about the future is a great way of escaping from challenges.”
- “Concept Both pain and pleasure are pain. Both pain and pleasure are suffering. It is not as if spirituality is about moving away from pain. Spirituality is about moving away from both pain and pleasure. And having returned to your innate fullness is the point of joy.”
- “That point where pain and pleasures are just visitors – they come, they go, I live in my house. The house is named joy.”
- “Joy is the nature of intelligence. Only in intelligence is there joy.”
- “Joy, freedom, love, these are not for stupid and mediocre people. These are for the brilliant one who is really shining within himself, free and independent; the intelligent one. These are for him.”
- “Intelligence is joy, Intelligence is freedom from domination, from exploitation, from fear, that is intelligence.”
- “Your best is expressed when you are joyful, when you are fearless. Do not get into the habit of working under pressure.”
These quotes have come from talks and writings of Shri Prashant