- “The ‘normal man’ wants to get rid of pain, and lives forever in pain. The wise man sees the duality and gets rid of both pleasure and pain.”
- “All of man’s problems arise from wanting what he does not need.”
- “Listening is to hearing what man is to machine .”
- “To know a Buddha, you must be somewhat like a Buddha. A ‘normal’ man has only beliefs about joy, freedom, love. Borrowed images taken as truth.”
- “Man is a restlessness. It can either make man go to its ultimate cause and produce a Buddha. Or, it can become ambition and destroy man.”
- “The intelligent man realizes that all his words, beliefs, his entire world is a lie. Only idiots keep a pious, bigoted belief in their truth.”
- “A truly religious man can never be a social man. He’s free from the clutches of society. He is intelligence unfettered, indomitable, alone.”
- “Only a spiritual man can be a materialist.”
- “Man and woman are two ends of duality-inseparable and opposites”
- “Those who don’t have God, they don’t even miss God. Missing is a privilege. A saint sings songs of missing him, a common man doesn’t. The common man doesn’t miss God at all. The common man is happy and occupied in his worldly truth-less, godless life.”
- “Who is a worldly man? The one who does not understand the world.”
- “Who is the worldly man? The one who is born in the world, lives in the world, and dies in the world, without ever understanding the world.”
- “So what is not evil then? How does man live? What is his dharma? Don’t ever decide. Whatever you will decide will come from you. Make way for the action to happen. Have the guts to step out of your own way. You are the evil. Even your best intention is an evil intention”
- “Who is an evil man? The one who cannot relax. The one who has a thousand responsibilities. The one who thinks that he has any other duty than serving Krishna.”
- “Man is the only creature in existence whose defining characteristic is his deep fear. Fear in his relationships, his goals, fear in his laughter, his love, his living, his progress, fear in his entire being.”
- “Man does not need this feeling of confidence. It doesn’t have any real utility.”
- “To the worldly man, the world is a continuous problem, a buzzing tension To the wise man, the world is joyful revelation, a continuous relaxation.”
- “For Innocence,look into the eyes of animals. For Truth,listen to the birds. For Reality,touch some sand. For repulsion,look at a man’ face.”
- “Man is the only creature who thinks he has to do something to enjoy himself.”
- “Beware the man who thinks he understands.”
- “The understanding of a Self or Soul or Atman was given to rid man of his body-identification. And man said: The soul is in my body. Tragedy.”
- “Those who understood gave us God. A God beyond dualistic pleasure-pain, problem-solution. And man turned God into his petty problem-solver.”
- “A new man is possible in this old world. But new men, a new society is not possible in an old world. The entire order needs to be wiped out.”
- “The cunning man is not cunning enough. He still ends up a big loser- frustrated and afraid. Be fully cunning. Emerge the ultimate winner.”
- “The worldly man takes this world too seriously. The ‘spiritual’ man makes a bigger mistake- trying to achieve another world, another reality.”
- “Consciousness is an illusion. Levels of consciousness, placing man higher than animals or matter,are illusory. Liberation is supreme illusion.”
- “The diligent man keeps doing and doing. The lazy man keeps doing even in his not doing. The wise man does nothing even when he is doing.”
- “Man is a man-made disease.”
- “We live to expand. Body-identified man reproduces physically. Mind-identified man expands thoughts. The free man just gives up his limits.”
- “A relaxed man is a very dangerous man. He has no doubts, so he cannot be manipulated. He has nothing to achieve, so he cannot be enslaved.”
- “The possessive man is a beggar. Religions try to teach him renunciation. Absurd;what can a beggar renounce? Instead,he must find his riches.”
- “The wise man is the most arrogant man.He knows he is everything. The wise man is the most humble man.He knows he is nothing. All and Nothing”
- “Man does not know God. Man can only think of God, and in this he makes two ungodly mistakes:(i) His mind is limited and lazy, and cannot know the material reality beyond a point. So, he postulates that there are certain material things that are beyond the mind. So, he builds a character called God – as a creator of things. All religions have done that.(ii) Occasionally the mind does get startled by a whiff of the non-material. It chances upon love, it flies in freedom, it dances in joy. It realises that there is something beyond the material. But it declares that the imperceptible, the non-material, the ineffable, too can be contained in the mind. So, using the mind, it embellishes the God character and writes stories about that character. The first mistake happens because we keep feeling small and incapable. We suffer from such an inferiority complex that we can’t even admit that a human gave birth to Jesus. The moment we come across an Upanishad, a Quran, a Bible, we relegate them to divine authorship to escape from them. And the second mistake happens because we are damn arrogant. We want to capture the Ultimate in the mind. We want to claim we know God.”
- “Society is an external order- man relating to man on the basis of a pre-established order. There is no love here; society is based on distrust. Or else there couldn’t be rules.”
- “In existence the party is always on, but man keeps waiting for a special invitation. The party is the invitation. To see the party is to be invited. To see the party is in itself the celebration.”
- “When man refuses to live in the essence, he lives in the periphery, in the inessential. See how you have filled your life with the inessentials. See how you suffer. See how you long for the Essential.”
- “If you think it is difficult to find God then you have not yet tried finding man.”
- “Inspite of what a man is, man always remains a little foolish. If one cannot love a man with all his foolishness, one cannot love at all.”
- “The Real is always the invisible root, and the real man is always a wild flower.”
- “Man is purposeful, God is purposeless.”
“The True, the Real, is not something to be sought.
It is our nature.
It is never going away.
Getting it doesn’t require special practice or effort or ‘sadhana’. It rather requires honest attentiveness; when you can be honest towards yourself, when you can acknowledge all your follies, when you can be attentive to the daily mistakes – that is Spirituality.
Spirituality is nothing special. It is very simple, ordinary.
The man who lives in himself, in his simple nature, is a spiritual man.
Spirituality is simple wisdom.”
- “You are the First man, and knowing this is Spirituality.Not only are You the First man, You are the only One.The entire world is You.Only You are.”
“The ignorance of one man is the ignorance of all.
There is no mistake that you commit that has not been committed by somebody else earlier. There is no mistake that you commit that has not been committed by you earlier. The mind of one is the mind of all. So when the Rishi is rebelling against his personal bondage, he is actually rebelling against the bondage of entire mankind and that is how he is useful to all of us. Because our bondages are the same, hence when one man rebels against his bondages, that is a rebellion against that which shackles the entire mankind’s consciousness.”
- “Man likes to be governed by morality rather than spirituality.”
- “God is man’s first and last mistake.”
- “The real man is always two separate beings, different and irreconcilable.
And they so permeate each other that one can’t say which is which.”
- “Know the real man as much by his scars as by his smiles.”
- “Man can never forgive God.”
- “Only the man free of others can have loving relationship with the others.”
“That’s the contradiction that man must overcome:
Being small, he must contain infinities; otherwise, he won’t come to rest.
Being man, he must transcend humanness; otherwise, he won’t relax.
That’s the challenge, that’s the invitation. Enter so deeply into yourself, enter so deeply into your smallness, that you come to the beyond-ness, that you so desperately crave.”
- “The fact will reveal the Truth.
There is no other way, as a human being, to move into the Truth except through the fact.
Know the fact and you’ll enter the Truth.
Know the fact of your daily living, know the fact of your relationships, know the fact of your mental states, and you will enter the Truth.”
- “Be cured within, then all your relationships will fall into place. Do not think that it’s about one particular person, that my relation with one man is unloving. It’s not about your relationship with one particular person, it’s about your relationship with yourself. It’s about who you are.
If you have relationship problems, turn within, look at yourself. Do not look at that man or that relationship. Turn within. The solution lies there.”
- “A vulnerable man is not one who exposes himself to hurt.
The vulnerable man is the one who can no longer be hurt.”
- “The wise man finds it wise to remain ignorant of his wisdom. He does not ever know what he knows, neither does he try. It is only when the situation arises that That which he knows, springs up – all of a sudden. He did not dial it, he did not call it, he did not summon it; it comes from somewhere. All that he knows is, that It will come, and that is called as ‘surrender of the mind’.”
- “The more this consciousness, this mind grows and gets filled up, the more difficult it is to return. Man is a restlessness and the restlessness keeps growing, growing. The more it grows, the more man seeks advice. Unfortunately, he seeks advice from those who themselves need advice.”
- “When man-made values become important, then existential values are forgotten.”
- “The wise man does not expect too much from experiences. The wise man does not make experience the source of his learning. He knows that learning rests within. Experience has no positive role in enhancing learning.”
- “Man is the only one who is so worried about whether or not he would attain fulfilment.”
- “Our knowledge is, in some areas, pretty detailed as well and it’s quite amazing, the extent to which human intelligence has gone and created this knowledge and other human beings have absorbed it and are putting it to use. Now, having known this much, is it not strange, what you read in newspapers? “Man quarrelling with man, nation quarrelling with nation, husband quarrelling with wife, neighbour quarrelling with neighbour, man quarrelling with himself!”
When we find nobody else to engage, we are busy fighting ourselves. And we know so much. We know so much. Yet basics of life – jealousy, possessiveness, insecurity, small happenings in our environment seem to shake us up.”
- “Our education and training is such that, it never asks us to turn within with the result that even the most knowledgeable man, is actually so infantile, and immature.”
- “Do not live as if you are in a waiting room, waiting for some train, that actually never arrives for mankind. Do not live, as if you are in a waiting room. And even if you are in a waiting room, do not live, as if the next train will bring to you, the love of your life. Sometimes, one is, in fact, in a waiting room. Even if you are in a waiting room, you should actually be, beyond waiting.”
- “Only a frightened man tries to frighten others.
The free man will liberate.”
- “No one who suffers is innocent. An innocent man, by definition, cannot suffer.”
- “To understand the ego is also to get rid of the ego. To get rid of the ego is to find yourself out and become a free man. And only a free man takes right decisions in life, with respect to livelihood, with respect to every small thing he or she does day in and day out. The quality of your mind determines the quality of your life. The freedom of your mind is the freedom of your life.”
- “Buddha is not a man or a person, he is awakening itself!”
- “The fool says, “Truth does not exist,” and he never, hence, knows the Truth.
The wise man says, “Nothing but the Truth exists,” and he sees nothing but the Truth!”
- “Man is designed to be a longing and he cannot be anything else. But right in middle of your longing realize that there is nothing to long for, because whatever is there to attain has already been attained. But you will long, you must long as long as you are a man. And do not think that a point will come in your life when the longing will cease.”
- “What has man been labelling as evil all these centuries?
He has been labelling himself as evil.
His desires, evil.
His very physical constitution, evil.
His forgetfulness, evil.
Seated in the Heart you do not call it evil anymore.
You say, ‘This is it!’”
- “Know a man not by the loudness of his voice, but by the depth of his silence.”
- “A really grown up man is the one who is again a kid.
Most people never grow up, neither do they remain kids nor do they become men and women.”
- “After gaining all the knowledge, after reading the wisdom literature, after seeing a few things, if I am still bound by the society, then what is the point in taking that education?
Education must liberate, not make a man bonded.”
- “If we get why one man and one woman is in conflict, then we can get why the whole world is in conflict.”
- “Nothing in the Universe is as loveless as man. Nothing in the Universe is as distrustful as man.”
- “Even to think properly you need to first be a man of Faith.”
- “The Faithful one is a man of vigorous action.
Worries make you incapable of action. In Faith you’re able to act without worrying about the fruits of action, and that’s why your action then is powerful.”
- “They say, “Man is a social animal”.
As long as the animal is there, he will need to be social.”
- “In searching for God, man has just forgotten rather abandoned his own God nature.”
- “God is man’s highest ambition.”
“It is the idea of God that makes man suffer.”
“Only a spiritual man can really experience pleasure and pain, day and night.
The worldly man is so terrified with experience or so hopeful from experience that he won’t be able to experience.”
- “The spiritual man will never be missing from the party, he will be the soul of the party, because the party does not really matter to him.”
- “The man who is greedy and ambitious in office, how can he turn loving in the family?”
- “The man who could not belong to God, obviously cannot belong to you either. If your man or woman has no Love for God and Truth, you are an idiot to expect that he or she can have love for you.”
“If the man refuses to live by the images of love, the woman would accuse of him being loveless. Real Love is often labelled as lovelessness.
- “Man’s tragedy is that he has to prove again and again to himself that he exists. And then he has to repeatedly check that his existence is not threatened.”
“All that which is Essential really does not need to be found.
It’s a great relief that it does not need to be found. Man has not been able to find even the trivial; how would he find the Essential?”
- “When a man says ‘freedom’,
freedom becomes a dwarf.
When man is Silent,
then freedom is Immensity.”
- “The more man depends on his cleverness, his intellect, his own doership, the more he gets mired in misery.”
“Tragedy of the knowledge dependent man:
He has no central internal anchor; he does not have an untouched, secure point to live by.
It is a mind dependent on knowledge.
So some external news came and because this man was probably defining himself with respect to the external, a change in the external caused tremors in the internal.
You know that the one you are relying on is going to deceive you. Once again he is going to deceive you. You know you are going to end up disappointed yet again. But you end up knocking on the same door. You end up walking down the same road. This is not Faith. This is not Love. This is pure desperate dependency.”
- “Whenever, the natural harmony of things, of movement, of existence is upset then there is disease; disease on both sides – the man and the woman. When things are healthy, then, nobody controls anybody. Neither the man controls anybody nor does the woman control anybody. When things are diseased, then both parties control each other.”
- “Man’s aggression is gross, because what does man has on his side? Physicality, brute power. So, his aggression will be gross. You would probably see him dominating a woman purely by the strength of muscle power – which is not so much these days – but still it does happen, we do see that happening, or through money power.”
- “A man would usually not like to admit that he is afraid of a woman. So, that fear is hidden. And equally difficult it is to see that a woman is aggressive, even though she might appear helpless or even benign.”
- “Man has this ability, a very unfortunate ability to come to a temporary stability in an unstable equilibrium.”
- “Be it a woman or a man, nobody is really chasing a body. You want that which sits at the center of the body. Penetration is symbolic, you want to reach to the heart. It is not merely a little bit of flesh that you want to dig into. You want to reach right till the heart. And unless you have reached the heart, the sexual activity has gone waste.”
- “A man or a woman, who cannot live in silence, is mentally diseased.”
- “When you look at the entire existence as manifestation of God, then you also look at your man and woman as manifestation of God. Then you know how to touch someone. It all goes together. When you know how to touch a wall, you also know how to touch a book. You also know then, how to touch a deer or a dog. If you do not know how to touch a dog, you also don’t know how to touch a woman. If you are cruel towards animals, what do you think, you really know how to touch a woman? If you are found kicking a dog, your sex would be involving, the kicking intention, definitely.”
- “Sex is beautiful only if you can see the divine in the other. Sex is beautiful only if the body is not just body, but a temple. A temple, at the center of which, God himself sits. Do not try to have sex with someone, you cannot see as a God or a Goddess. If you cannot worship the feet of a woman, if you cannot respect her, if you cannot surrender to the woman, don’t try to have sex. And that is same for the woman too. If you are not looking at the body as the temple, then touching the other is just rape. In fact, almost as a ritual, you must worship before touching. And again, almost as a ritual, you must bow down, after the act. Not push her away and turn to the other side, because you are now finished, done with, and you want to now, snore.”
- “That, which is so intrinsic, so innate, that man has neither made it, nor can man comprehend it, is the Atman.”
These quotes have come from talks and writings of Acharya Prashant