- “ Plans of future come from the fears of the past.”
- “Sentimentality is not sensitivity. One is enclosure of the past, the other is closeness to the present. One is cruelty, the other is love.”
- “The Present is not this moment. Were the present ‘this’ moment, it would change with time. Past and future change in time, Present is beyond time.”
- “Rooted in the timeless,its good fun to play around in time. Past and future are mere harmless jokes when the mind is immersed in the Present.”
- “Aims come from the limited past.Achieving an aim gives you no growth.Growth comes from aimless courageous movement into unknown.”
- “In attention, your old patterns cease to work. Your conditioned grooves are flattened. The filth on your eyes is cleared. It is cleansing of the highest kind. You are dissolved, cleansed of yourself. You are being washed in your own dissolution. That is Aatmsnaan (self-purification). That is why it is said that attention washes away all your sins of the past. Aatmsnaan is attention.The stains of the past actions cease to bother you in understanding.”
- “No shame can hurt you if you have the Light within.No past can harm you when you are well-seated in the present. When you are in the present, you can play with the past and the future.”
- “Aren’t we already a time machine? We move into past and future all the time!”
- “Beliefs come from time, past. Knowing is right now. Faith is knowing that there is stuff beyond time.”
- “The past is the mind. Mind not only stores the past, the mind is past itself.”
- “Experience gives replication, not creation. Real creation does not require the base of past. Creativity is causeless. Beyond cause and effect.”
- “One can never claim “I am in the present moment”. ‘I am’ lives only in the past. In the present, there’s no ‘I am’ thought, just PRESENCE.”
- “Safety means repetition of the past. The new is always fresh, unpredictable, and hence dangerous. Life must be new – dangerous.”
- “The New isn’t a product of the past. The New cannot be benchmarked against the past. The New is incomparable. A competitive mind is stupid.”
- “We are born afresh every moment. Clinging to memory creates an illusion of continuity. To take oneself to be a product of past is to suffer.”
- “To be intelligent is to look directly, spontaneously at the essence of things, rather than be caught in trivia of name, form, past, details.”
- “I was so much into pleasure I never cared to enjoy. Pleasure is brain machine repeating the secure past. Enjoyment is to watch this machine.”
- “There is no original thought. All thought is stale, a product of past influences. ‘Original idea’ or ‘Creative thinking’ is an oxymoron.”
- “The Present does not come from the past, and never becomes the future. Present is not a point in time, whatever is in time changes. The present never changes Whatever you find changing around you or within you is not present.”
- “One can never claim “I am in the present moment”. ‘I am’ lives only in the past. In the present, there’s no ‘I am’ thought, just presence.”
- “Hope continues the rubbish of the past.”
- “When somebody who is attached to you via the body, sees, that the command of the body is no more being followed by you and by the other person, then all of a sudden he realizes the tremendous power of Truth. He sees, that there might be an entire past of many decades connecting me to this person yet when the Truth shines then past has no meaning.
Your relationship might be of sixty years, but one moment of Truth, one glimpse of Truth obliterates all those sixty years. In the language of morality, this sounds like being disloyal, does it not? “That one moment of some god-damn realization and you forgot our age-old real relationship! Is this your fidelity? Is this what our relationship means to you? So cheap!” Tell them — “yes”. One moment of Truth is bigger than sixty-years of any relationship or sixty-thousand years.”
- “What is a right action?
A right action is that which comes from actually nowhere.
And therefore, it is fresh.
And therefore it does not need the assistance of past.”
- “That point from where the response comes, without preparation, without past, without motive, without memory — that is clarity.”
- “Something which will remain unaffected by whatever is happening on the outside, in the world. There is a state of the mind which remains continuously untouched by whatever is happening outside, this is called unconditional. It doesn’t matter what is happening here, there, with that person, in the future, in the past, today, tomorrow. I have a particular state of mind that does not change and that is called the unconditional state. You may call it Love, you may not call it Love, that doesn’t matter, this unconditionality itself is the Love. That state of mind which remains untouched by all the movements in time and space is unconditional, and that alone is Love.”
- “By asking for anything from the past, you will only ensure that the past continues, and nothing new ever happens to you.”
- “The answers cannot come from the advice of others; the answers cannot even come from your own experiences in the past. The answers can arise only from your deep presence, right now.
When you are available to what is there, when you are open to it, then magically, without even trying, you know your answer.”
- “The past repeats itself only for the one who has not changed.”
- “If you have a stake in the past, then you do not have a stake in Truth.
It is because of this disloyalty that we suffer.”
- “Only the one who is deeply surrendered to the Present gets to be the master of the past and future.”
These quotes have come from talks and writings of Acharya Prashant