- “You are what you are doing right now.”
- “To go for goals is gloom, to fantasise a future is frustration.”
- “No shame can hurt you if you have the Light within.No past can harm you when you are well-seated in the present. When you are in the present, you can play with the past and the future.”
- “One can never claim “I am in the present moment”. ‘I am’ lives only in the past. In the present, there’s no ‘I am’ thought, just PRESENCE.”
- “Future bothers only when attention is not in the present. Be in the present and act with all your energy. Future will disappear.”
- “The future is a surprise gift for the one who lives fully in the Present.”
- “Excellence comes from enjoyment. Enjoyment is immersion in the present. Ambition is in future away from present. Ambition kills excellence.”
- “Isn’t it amusing that the more ignorant one is of the present, the more desperate he is to build a future!”
- “It is most difficult to notice that which is always and unchangeably present. Why else would we call a room empty when its full of space?”
- “The mind thinks about thoughtlessness, desires desirelessness and hopes to live in the present moment. It even plans a free-flowing life.”
- “The Present does not come from the past, and never becomes the future. Present is not a point in time, whatever is in time changes. The present never changes Whatever you find changing around you or within you is not present.”
- “All displacement from the Present is suffering.”
- “One can never claim “I am in the present moment”. ‘I am’ lives only in the past. In the present, there’s no ‘I am’ thought, just presence.”
- “Rooted in the timeless, it’s good fun to play around in time. Past and future are mere harmless jokes when the mind is immersed in the present.”
- “Only Truth is present, only in the Present is Truth.”
- “Sentimentality is not sensitivity. One is enclosure of the past, the other is closeness to the present. One is cruelty, the other is love.”
- “The Present is not a moment in time.”
- “The Present is not this moment. Were the present ‘this’ moment, it would change with time. Past and future change in time, Present is beyond time.”
- “Let the ‘now’ be in the Present.”
- “The Present is all that ever is. The Present is not time, yet all time arises in it. The Present is not space, yet all space arises in it.”
- “Get out, you are not needed. Your presence is needed. Get out, and leave her behind. Thankfully you are out, and now you are present.”
- “What is absent-mindedness? Alertness is deep surrender. And absent-mindedness is deep ego. The absent-minded one is busy elsewhere, thinking, analysing, planning…., and missing the Present. The mind always wants to be occupied ‘somewhere else’. It thinks it knows where to go, and this is pure arrogance and haughtiness. Being absent-minded is the punishment you get for not surrendering, for thinking that your affairs of the elsewhere are too important, that there is something more significant than the Present.”
- “Prayer is your very being. Prayer is beautifully described in Hindi as ‘praarthanaa.‘ – ‘arth‘ means desire. – ‘para + arth‘ means beyond desire. Neither there is anything to pray to, nor anything to pray for, nor there is anybody who is praying. Prayer is nothing. If anybody is prayed to, anything is prayed for or anybody is praying, then that is not a prayer, but an activity out of desire. Prayer is your very being, a very-very silent call of the mind. Deeper the silence, closer you are to praying. The more you can describe or articulate, the more you are present, farther you are from praying. You cannot pray. You can only be prayerful. In every movement of the mind there must be prayer. Only that prayer is heard. You ask for nothing and so surely your prayer will be answered. The Lord listens when you forget the Lord. The Lord listens when there is no Lord.”
- “Be silent and come close.
If you want to know something, come close to it.
By being away from it, you will not be able to know.
To be disturbed is to be away from the present.”
- “To be disturbed is to not to be in the present.
And when you are not in the present, when you are not close to the present, how will you read the present?”
- “If you are not afraid then you can just present yourself empty handed, naked, without preparation, without defences, without armours, without weapons and clothing.
Here I am, naked!
Not the warrior, but the lover.”
- “It is quite amusing, we do not like it when someone eavesdrops on our so-called ‘personal’ conversations, but the world is present in one’s very bedroom! In fact, the world is the one that has raised that room and we call it ‘personal’.”
- “Even in absence of all the parts, the whole is still there; even in the presence of all the parts, the whole is still there. Actually, the parts are not present, only the whole is present. What appears as the part is the inability of the part to see the whole. Otherwise, there are actually no parts, there is only the whole.”
- “You cannot skip life, even for a moment. And it is easy, it is effortless. It is as effortless as the beating of the heart, as effortless as breathing. Attention is no workout; attention is not a demanding activity. Attention is simple, effortless; you just have to be present. And when you are simply present, then you know what the whole game is all about.”
- “Anxiety is thought. The presence of thought implies the lack of attention.
All anxiety is imagination.
In understanding of the present, energetic action starts and anxiety disappears.”
- “When you keep rejecting the objects of your desire, and dreams, then slowly the tendency of the object to show themselves, to present themselves, reduces. Now you have come to a point where you know that things, or persons, or ideas, or thoughts, is not what you want. So what happens, that the chase after things, or persons, or ideas, or reputation, loses its energy.”
- “All displacement from present is suffering.”
- “Only the limited can be felt as present.”
- “Only the one who is deeply surrendered to the Present gets to be the master of the past and future.”
“What does one take to be ‘present’? Houses, markets, routines!
God is an absence of all that one calls as Present.
Thank God for the absence.”
- “Now is not the Present, now is an imagination.”
- “The Present is the foundation of the past, now and the future. The Past, now and future are parts of the stream of the time. Present is the land, the vast infinite land in which many such streams keep flowing.”
- “Immortality is not about living great lengths of time. The only immortality possible is in the present. If you are fully present, fully present – that is immortality. And in that immortality, you are free to die and free to take a thousand births. To reach and live as, and live by your central, peaceful nature is immortality. In that peace, nothing bothers you, you are not worried about security. All questions on permanence are questions about one’s longevity, one’s security.”
- “Start from that which you see ‘here’; ‘here’, right now.”
- “When you are present, that means, you are present to The Truth. Presence does not mean you are sitting close to that person. Presence means that the mind has presented itself, in obedience, in front of The Truth.”
- “Firmly tethered to the present, past is fun; future too is good fun.”
- “Only the one who is deeply surrendered to the present, gets the rights to be the master of the past and the future.”
These quotes have come from talks and writings of Acharya Prashant