- “Subjugation is not surrender. What is enforced through fear or greed cannot be surrender. Surrender is the highest expression of free will.”
- “What is depression? Only He is High. The one whose mind is not in contact with That alone, whose life is not centered around that High peak, will always find himself down. This is depression – an outcome of the ego’s refusal to surrender to the High. Depression means that the Highest is unknown to you.”
- “When Love calls, do not resist. Go; That is where you will find peace. Do not fight that unreasonable urge. Surrender to your glorious defeat.”
- “Know your head, and keep it down.”
- “The hurt mind demands caution and restriction”
- “You do not surrender by thinking about surrendering. You do not surrender by declaring yourself to have surrendered. You do not surrender because surrender is good. You do not surrender out of some virtue contained in surrender. You do not surrender because you have thought it through. And you do not surrender because surrendering takes you to some divine peaceful point. You surrender because you are really tired of fighting. You surrender because you see the stupidity and the limitation of mental effort, of your calculation, of your analysis, of your entire thinking process.”
- “Surrender is the realization that behind all diversity of thought, the tendency to think is the same.”
- ” To surrender is to not to move when there is no need to move. To surrender is to not to think when there is no need to think.”
- “I do not know my own good, so I cannot desire my own good. Existence knows what is good for me. So it sends me the sun, it has given me the capacity to love and understand. There is a bigger power, a totality that knows what is best for me. And let that bigger power, let that totality decide what is good for me. I should not look after myself because I cannot look after myself and if I try to look after myself I will only do myself harm. If I do not want to harm myself then I should not have this stupid belief in my expectations”
- “Does the leaf follow any purpose? The leaf just is. When the wind comes, the leaf dances. That’s it. When the heat is too strong, the leaf dies, withers away. That’s it. And it’s so disturbing to many. “Oh my God! Nothing to do.” When the wind comes, then move and dance, and when your time is up, then go away. That’s it.”
- “Only the One can help you, is helping you, wishes you well and is giving you wellness. Know Him, be with Him, and then you will not be afraid.”
- “To surrender is to realize that you are already at the climax of your being, that there is no better place available. So, there is no need to put in any more efforts; that no road needs to be taken; that this is it, full stop. And it is not a full stop of deadness; it’s a throbbing and vital full stop. It’s a full stop, not to your being, but to your disease.”
- “Dropping of self is the real charity”
- “Respond to His call and He will take care of the rest”
- “You are the resistance. I am the resistance. He wants us to resist. He wants us to surrender.”
- “If you want to see the Sky, surrender to the Earth.”
- “Never surrender your freedom. Surrender in freedom.”
- “What is absent-mindedness? Alertness is deep surrender. And absent-mindedness is deep ego. The absent-minded one is busy elsewhere, thinking, analysing, planning…., and missing the Present. The mind always wants to be occupied ‘somewhere else’. It thinks it knows where to go, and this is pure arrogance and haughtiness. Being absent-minded is the punishment you get for not surrendering, for thinking that your affairs of the elsewhere are too important, that there is something more significant than the Present.”
- “By repeatedly taking the name of God, you are reducing God to a name. To say anything about God is to run away from surrender.”
- “Surrender is absolute. There is no choice of surrendering in parts. Let the mind look at itself. That is the most sacred act. Only then you can surrender. Surrender to whom? Nobody. Silence. Not required. Not surrendering to anybody. Just surrender.”
- “We don’t surrender the ego. We just park our ego with the teacher in the assurance that he will keep it safe. Real surrender means to accept that ego is what you have, and it stinks, and you can’t take the stink anymore. So you give it up. It is not yours anymore; you are free of it. But you still own it, still possess it, are still attached to it. So, you search for a convenient teacher who will not hurt your ego. That’s also why you create God- a merciful, affable God.”
- “Surrender means that you have stopped fighting the Real, the True. When you stop fighting the Real, you become available and to fight the unreal, and energised to defeat it.”
- “Planning is wonderful but only when you have surrendered to That which is beyond planning.”
- “The ability to stand up to the world comes from bowing down to the Absolute. To rule the small, surrender to the Big. There is only one Big. Let That remain Big. Surrender.”
- “What the ego dismisses as randomness, faith knows to be Grace. Ego reasons and finds not. Faith surrenders to mystery,and finds benediction.”
- “Choose to be choiceless. Earn the freedom to surrender.”
- “The deepest enquiry begins as a tense, ruthless questioning, demanding answers, and surrenders as a humble faith, knowing beyond answers.”
- “Any concept of God is not God at all. Drop the concept and surrender.”
- “Bhakti, devotion, surrender, is for the super-intelligent. It is not for the mentally challenged.”
- “The very inflation, rise of ego, the very rise of evil is a parallel rise in the urge to dissolve. The inflated ego sees its own vanity, futility, and surrenders.”
- “Unless you give yourself completely to the process, you will gain nothing out if it.”
- “Don’t give up; just let go”
- “Let me give up that which I anyway never had. Let me re-find that which I anyway always have.”
- “Do not come to get illuminated. Come to get rid of darkness. You cannot be given anything. You are required to lose a lot. Come to give up.”
- “Come close, come close! How will you end if you don’t come close? How will you come alive if you don’t come close? Come close, yet closer!”
- “If it’s a mess, You created it. So,you clean it. If it has an order, its Yours. You maintain it. All this is none of my business. I just relax.”
- “You have won when you lose interest in the battle.”
- “Seek and you loose, stop in attainment.”
- “Not wanting to win, I never lose.”
- “Be surrendered. Be simple. Be innocent.Live in your ordinary nature. That’s all.”
- “Guru is neither a person nor a qualification; Guru is the mind surrendered to learn.”
- “When you know that now you cannot bow down to the false, then you have surrendered to the Truth.
And only when you have surrendered to the Truth, you will get the courage to not to prostrate in front of the false.”
- “Spirituality is Surrender.
But before surrender, it is rebellion.
Rebel against all that which is false. Rebel against all that which is material but claims to be spiritual.
When you have rebelled against the false, that is surrender to the Truth.”
“The world of Truth is a strange world. Here, you get so much if you are prepared to drop; here, you gain everything when you surrender.
When the wife surrenders the husband, she gets a lover.”
- “When the mind decides to resist, it is dangerous.
When the mind decides to surrender, it is even more dangerous.”
- “Because you have been surrendered, because you have been moving as one with existence, only the right things will happen through you.
You won’t even have to try to be an agent of change.
Your very presence will cause the right change all around you.”
- “My only duty, if there can be a duty at all, is being devoted to the Truth. And when you are devoted to the Truth, there is Joy in return, not suffering.
Your only duty is complete Surrender to the Absolute.”
- “Spirituality is in one sense, deep Surrender, and in another sense, it is the re-vesting of all authority back in oneself.”
“Surrender is not an art. It is not a skill. It is not a task.
It is this: when you spoke, I surrendered to you.
Only by surrendering to your question could I listen to what your heart is asking. And when I speak, you have to surrender to me to really know what is coming through me, that is surrender — easy, simple, obvious; so damn straight forward.
Surrender is not something exotic. Not something far-fledged. Not something there (pointing towards the sky) in some other galaxy.
‘This’ is surrender.
- “Because when I am confronted with Truth, I simply surrender.
I have never argued.
“The wise man finds it wise to remain ignorant of his wisdom. He does not ever know what he knows, neither does he try. It is only when the situation arises that, that which he knows, springs up – all of a sudden.
He did not dial it, he did not call it, he did not summon it; it comes from somewhere.
All that he knows is, that It will come, and that is called as ‘surrender of the mind’.”
- “Ordinarily, in our dualistic world, when we say, “I shall be no more,” it means death, it means annihilation.
But, in the spiritual sense, in the real sense, when one dissolves, when one surrenders, when one is no more, then it is not a matter of sadness, rather it is a matter of great celebration.
Because it does not mean that you have died, it means that you have come upon ‘Real’ life.”
- “Real prayer is a life of surrender.
Real prayer is when you say, ‘If I pray, then that prayer is worthless. So I won’t even pray. Whatever I do, would always be tainted with my incompleteness.’”
- “Real prayer is such a deep surrender that – “I am not going to even ask something, because I don’t know what is good for me. I am leaving everything to existence.”
Real prayer is a deep-deep surrender of the ego.”
“Let there be a freshness and innocence in your youth.
And if you are fresh and innocent, and if you surrender only to the Truth, the world will extract its pound of flesh.
Be prepared to pay the price.
No price is too heavy for reclaiming your youth.
Pay the price.
Take boldly on your chest all the wounds that this world can inflict upon you.
Have the guts!
Let them wound you; let them become your enemies. Let them gang up against you.
Why must you become a survive cow?
- “Real changes come not from your effort, but from your Surrender.”
- “If you are surrendered to the great rhythm of life, life takes care of itself.That is called Faith.”
- “Only a deep and direct surrender of ego will help you.”
- “In surrendering your doership, you are the perfect doer.”
- “You can be attentive really only on the Truth.
To be attentive is to attend only to the Truth, to have only the Truth as your priority.
Attention is another name for Devotion and Surrender.”
- “Attention is a thing of the Heart.
Attention is about keeping your ego surrendered.”
- “You cannot delight in the world if you are not surrendered to the one beyond the world.”
“When you are surrendered to That, Truth smiles in your laughter.
When you are surrendered to That, Joy cries in your tears.
Now laugh, now cry.”
- “Only a high-quality mind will have high-quality love. A mediocre mind cannot have deep love.
Do not wonder whether he will love you; just look at the quality of his mind.
A high-quality mind is a surrendered mind, one at peace with itself.”
- “When the mind is surrendered, the surrender is Love.”
“Freedom is to be surrendered to the Truth.
When you are surrendered to the Truth, then you are free of the world, and also free of yourself.”
- “Only the one who is deeply surrendered to the Present gets to be the master of the past and future.”
“For the centre to change, the existing centre can do nothing. The existing centre can do nothing, to change itself. All that it will do, will only reinforce it, never change it. Kindly drop this illusion that you can do anything, that will ever change you.
Real change comes not from your efforts, but from your Surrender.”
“Going by your efforts, you can bring the mind only to the edge of the precipice. You cannot push it. You cannot make it fly.
You can, by your efforts, rid mind of all the objects, but any effort of the mind will never succeed in riding the mind of itself. Your efforts will drive away all the objects but the mother object will still remain, because the mother object is the mind itself. That cannot be driven away by the mind.
For that, you require Surrender and Faith.”
- “Renunciation is not a particular act.
Renunciation is the spontaneous dropping that happens
when you see how stupid it is to keep holding.”
- “After dropping all, you’re left with nothing. Now drop the nothing as well.
From Him comes all illusion, and from Him comes redemption.”
- “You must take God for granted, totally. Breathe properly. Live rightly. Let the mind be surrendered, devoted… Let the mind be at peace. That is the only gratitude that you can offer. Take care of you.”
- “Tiredness is a recognition, it is an admission, it is a surrender. It is not something physical.”
- “The ways of the heart are very nonsensical. You win by losing. You gain all, by surrendering yourself. The mind only knows aggression. The heart only knows surrender and it wins. And the mind is a perpetual loser. Trying to win, all it gets is Defeats. The heart is so eager to lose, and eager to lose it wins everything.”
- “Real discipleship is surrender, and in that you do not follow any particular pattern of living.”
- “Instead of asking for dis-identification, rather identify yourselves fully; be dedicated fully, be owned fully, be committed and attached fully. In other words, be totally surrender to peace to completeness, which means not for a moment would you entertain thoughts that talk of incompleteness. Not for a moment, would you promote, that within yourself which calls yourself as limited, petty, afraid, insecure.”
- “Drop effort. Drop everything that is mental. Drop your cleverness, your smartness, your organised activity. Drop your plans and schedules. The more you try and plan to reach the Truth, rest assured, the more you will keep trying and planning. No method ever succeeds. Truth is not a target. None of our cleverness ever succeeds. Only our innocence succeeds. Only our naked surrender succeeds. And all cleverness and all methods and all seeking is just to escape that naked surrender.”
- “You very well know what your desires give you and where your desires come from. And when you see that, then the desire loses its energy. Once you become sensitive that the burning coal you are holding in your palm is eating out your flesh, it drops. And its dropping is not happening via a desire, you are not desiring to drop it, it drops. It drops on its own because you are seeing the damage it is causing you. You are not the dropper, you were the holder. Now the holder on seeing his stupidity is gone. The holder is gone, the dropping happens by itself.”
- “Surrendered and in the Present, one is immortal. And the moment you are busy with time, you are again moving towards death.”
- “Do not correct to yourself; instead, just see what you are doing.
Surrender is about looking at one’s daily life which is not imaginary. Do not try to think of an imaginary God.
Live in the facts.”
- “When the mind is surrendered, that surrender is love.”
- “Attention simply means that the mind is surrendered. And after surrender whatever the mind does, that is called attention.”
- “Mind lives in knowledge and if there is something that cannot be captured in mind as knowledge, then mind will have to surrender to it.”
- “Enlightenment is not something that you attach to a person, ‘Oh, he is enlightened.’ No. Enlightenment is Truth, the very essence of all. Surrender to the Truth, you are enlightened.”
- “Who can bow down? Only the one who is totally sure of himself can bow down. A mind plagued by loneliness cannot bow down. It is strange: The more weak and hollow you are, the more arrogant you are. To bow down you require an inner fullness. When you are totally full of yourself, then you can bow down.”
- “Only in freedom one surrenders fully. Surrender is not subjugation; surrender is not force submissiveness. Instead, surrender is your clearest expression of freewill.”
- “Any concept of God is not God at all. Drop the concept and surrender.”
- “To say anything about God is to escape from surrender.”
- “Whenever there is spontaneity, whenever you have surrendered, the surrendered action is a prayer.”
- “To pray is to just surrender.”
- “Only the one who is deeply surrendered to the present, gets the rights to be the master of the past and the future.”
- “If you must rebel, rebel totally. And that total rebellion is spirituality. That total rebellion is surrender.”
- “Godliness and joy are to be surrendered to, not fought up to.”
These quotes have come from talks and writings of Acharya Prashant