- “A ‘better world’ is just imaginary. Befits the world to be as seductive, deceptive and mean as possible. Liberation means nothing if easy.”
- “Looking attentively at the world, one enters the Truth beyond world.”
- “Ego will not understand this world, but will demand a Reality beyond.”
- “Everything that you think of as the world is nothing but ‘you’.Everything that you think of as ‘you’ is nothing but the world.
Sans your thoughts, the world and the conception of ‘you’, there is a vast nothingness and that is what you really are.”
- “When I say, “Go out and watch” and when I say, “Go in and watch”.I mean, “Watch so that you know what you need to do. Watch out so that you know that the world needs change. And watch yourself so that you know that the outer change will only follow inner change”.”
- “The world’s problems are solved by not taking the world as real. Understand this. The world’s problems are solved by those who do not contribute to those problems. The world’s problems are not solved by those who take the world seriously. The world’s problems are actually solved by those who know that the world does not mean anything. Hence, leave the world to itself.If you can leave this earth to itself, will global warming be there?”
- “With God in your heart, you can have the world in your mind and it will be a ‘Godly world’.”
- “Your and world’s nature is impermanence”
- “The only way to help the world is to leave the world alone”
- “Who is a worldly man? The one who does not understand the world.”
- “Can I ever know how the world appears to a grain of sand? Am I sure the sand thinks that humans are alive? Is sand, sand in a sand’s world?”
- “So, why does the world exist? So that He can admire Himself.”
- “Spirituality separated from worldly living becomes worldliness. To separate spirituality from the world is to co-opt it into the world.”
- “To plan for future, one must believe that the world is an evil place.”
- “Facts for the mind and Faith for the heart. Facts in the dualistic world and Faith in the non-dual Truth. Facts and Faith- the complete one.”
- “Darkness is the belief that there is something except light. Darkness is a belief in the world as an objective reality by itself.”
- “When the world is material, woman is a thing.”
- “The world arouses your sensual pleasures in a thousand ways, and simultaneously raises moral taboos against arousal. The result is guilt. Provocation and guilt hollow the mind and sap away its strength. The only way is to avoid both provocation and guilt. Catch yourself being provoked, tempted and ashamed in ways subtle and gross.”
- “Experience is the only way the world asserts itself. Can I remain imageless while seeing? Unmoved while moving? Untouched while touching?”
- “To the worldly man, the world is a continuous problem, a buzzing tension To the wise man, the world is joyful revelation, a continuous relaxation.”
- “A new man is possible in this old world. But new men, a new society is not possible in an old world. The entire order needs to be wiped out.”
- “The world is your self-image. The experiencer and the experience go together.”
- “It is alright to say that the world exists in the mind. And where does the mind exist, except in the mind? The mind is its own concept.”
- “The world seemed to be going round and round,changing. I saw not the complete circle. And kept thinking that something was really happening!”
- “More you stay with the world, more you need it. More you stay with a Teacher, less you need anything, including him. World clings. Guru frees.”
- “Can I ever know how the world appears to a grain of sand? Am I sure the sand thinks that humans are alive? Is sand, sand in a sand’s world?”
- “Don’t look so startled. The world has not suddenly changed. You have woken up. Now come and help with the wake-up calls.”
- “Peace is peace in peace,obviously. But in this world of duality,there must be strife and war along with peace. Peace really means peace in war.”
- “Leela and Maya: Maya is when one acts in the mistaken belief that the expression is the Essence. Leela happens when one knows essence as essence and expression as expression. When the world takes control of me, it is maya. When I am not ruled by world while still participating in it, it is Leela, and that is the only healthy relationship with world.”
- “There is the pull of Maya, and then there is the call of God. In between these, the world exists. The world is nothing but a continuous tug-of-war. The Heart versus the mind, the mind versus the mind, God versus God!”
- “To say ‘I know not’ is as much a lie as ‘I know’. To say ‘The world is false’ is as much a lie as ‘The world is real’. Why not just shut up?”
- “The world is Dukkha, but it requires a Buddha to see that. Ironically, the Buddha experiences no Dukkha.”
- “Democracy, a great lie. When you give equal voting rights to a Buddha and a Dodo, you’ll have a world ruled by Dodos. Now see who is ruling.”
- “The world is lousy, transient, unreal. Creation is an image of creator. Why rever the unreal creator of such an unreal creation? Real God?”
- “The world is indeed beautiful, but worldiness is not.”
- “How much time I spend over the world- analyzing, gossiping. If I spend a tenth of that time looking at myself, the world would surely change.”
- “The world changes the moment I am awake. As soon as I am awake, I rise above the dream.”
- “My relationship with the world is my relationship with myself. Outer conflict is inner. One who fights his mind quarrels with the world.”
- “Anything done for the world will always be unreal. Every real act is always for the Self. Those who know the Self celebrate Selfishness.”
- “Who wish to conquer the world forever remains a slave of the world. Who understand the stupidity of such a wish enjoy the world as a master.”
- “Working hard is not very difficult; the world is too full of hard-workers. The real difficulty lies in refraining from doing useless work.”
- “The intelligent man realizes that all his words, beliefs, his entire world is a lie. Only idiots keep a pious, bigoted belief in their truth.”
- “I can only sense ‘things’. It is impossible for me to see the space in which everything is. The world itself is the proof of Reality beyond it.”
- “Each person carries his personal world in his mind. When two persons meet, their different worlds-unreal-can’t reconcile. World is conflict.”
- “The gross mind sustains itself in extremes. Either it speaks a lot or it doesn’t speak at all, either it is attached with the world or runs away from it, either ‘worldly’ or ‘spiritual’.”
- “The world is a movement of your happenings. Some happenings are problems and some are solutions.”
- “‘World Peace’ is a foolish concept. When there is peace, there is no world.”
- “Our world is our own image. How can your mirror image have that which you do not have? Its stupid when a loveless, joyless mind tries to love.”
- “To know, I don’t need to close my eyes in negation; I need to open my eyes in intelligence. The world itself is Truth. Falseness is in my eye.”
- “I am my thoughts. The world is what I think. If I stop thinking, there is no I. Try !”
- “And how do you remain calmly centered in a hysterical world pulling you in a thousand directions?”
- “And how do you remain calmly centered in a hysterical world pulling you in a thousand directions?”
- “When love rests within, the world presents itself as lovable.”
- The world appeared in it dancing, colorful and bright. Swelled up the mirror, “Surely I am the source of light.”
“Live simply, and that’s all!
You are alright just as you are. You cannot improve yourself. By trying to improve upon yourself, you only disfigure yourself. You are perfectly tuned machine, don’t fiddle with it. The perfect one does not send imperfections. You are alright!
Don’t try to become something else. And if you have become something else, then return to what you are.
Don’t be so clever. Let those eyes not be eyes of suspicion. Allow yourself to be cheated a little. If the world wants to cheat you, allow yourself to be cheated.
It’s alright to be cheated a little. It’s alright to be losing a few things than to be robbed of your innocence. Stay innocent!”
- “In the material itself, you will find it. So, don’t disregard the material. Don’t be contemptuous towards it. You must be very open, very living, and offer no resistance to what you see. You offer resistance to it because you think that something more important is elsewhere. No, there is nothing more important and there is no other world. This is all that there is. This world is the only reality for you. So, you must know this world, and that is not difficult at all because you are already knowing; which means that everything is already at its proper place. Go home and relax! Or have fun — which again is not a matter of doing because you are already having fun.”
- “If yours is not a world of miracles, then yours is a world of machines.”
- “Spirituality is not about reaching another world.
Spirituality, mind you, is about knowing this world.”
“You are the First man, and knowing this is Spirituality.
Not only are You the First man, You are the only One.
The entire world is You.
Only You are.”
- “Your eyes close, if fears and fantasies go.
Your fears and fantasies have gone only when the world has gone.
The world is fears; the world is fantasies.
No fantasies; no world.
No fear; no world.”
- “Think of everything that you continuously remember.
Think of everything that finds a place in the memory.
It finds a place in the memory only because it is important to the ego.
It either promises something or threatens to take away something.
That is why you remember it, and what you remember is your world.
Fears and fantasies is what you remember.”
“Fulfilment is when you are not thinking about fulfilment.
Real knowing is when you are not thinking in terms of knowledge.
Love is when you forget all about love.
Fearlessness is when you are not thinking that you are fearless.
If you are thinking that you are fearless, you are just using thought as a defence mechanism.
Whatever is Real is known by its absence in the psychic world.
If it does not come in thoughts then it is Real. If the mind cannot imagine it, hold it, touch it, conceptualise it, then it is Real.”
“Don’t talk about God. Don’t take the name of God so often. The more you talk about God, the more it is proven that God is missing. God is not a subject of discussion. God is not something to be remembered. Only objects are remembered. Only the world can be remembered.
Forget God totally, and now you know God.”
“When you are free of everything; when you are free of the world, free of yourself – you are wedded to Freedom.
And to be wedded to Freedom is to have God as your spouse.
God is the only rightful partner.
Peace is the only lover.
Truth is the only attraction.
Nobody wants anything else; nobody has ever wanted anything else.”
- “In denying what the world appears as, you come to that which the world really is.
In denying life as it appears, you come to that which life really is.”
- “Truth is not merciful in the sense that it will help you maintain your false and ugly world.”
- “Equality is a virtue in your moral world.
In His world, only Truth is the virtue.”
“The world of Truth is a strange world. Here, you get so much if you are prepared to drop; here, you gain everything when you surrender.
When the wife surrenders the husband, she gets a lover.”
- “When you are with the Lover, then the world appears itself to be lovable.”
- “The True Scripture destroys your world and the creator of that world.”
- “There is the dual and there is the non-dual.
Where there is a duality, there is an infinitude of words, and words mean small things.
Where there is a non-duality, there is just infinitude.
Both are infinite.
The dualistic world is also infinite, but it is infinite in its smallness; it is infinite in its littleness, in its fragmentation.
And the non-dual world is just infinite.”
- “The Guru is the lover, the lover is the Guru, and there can be no distinction between the two.
This challenges our images.
The lover is imagined to be active, attractive.
A Guru is imagined to be staid, passive, wise, but hardly attractive — in the worldly sense that is.
No, these two definitions must converge, and they can converge only if both of them dissolve.”
“Clarity is two things together:
One, it is the absence of readymade concepts based on which one lives, one reacts, one sees the world, and parallelly, simultaneously, on the other hand, it is the ability to respond greatly.”
- “The world is the world of action. Everything is moving here. Action means movement, time. The world is the seat of action. To live well in the world, you must be very-very inactive within.”
- “The more time you spend with the scriptures or with the Teacher, the easier it will be for you to demolish the influence, that the world has built-up upon you.”
- “The mind can only look at duality — the eyes see figures, the ears hear sounds, and you can only touch material.
So, find out something or somebody who is like a bridge between the dualistic world and the non-dual Source.
That will help you remember.”
- “It is quite amusing, we do not like it when someone eavesdrops on our so-called ‘personal’ conversations, but the world is present in one’s very bedroom! In fact, the world is the one that has raised that room and we call it ‘personal’.”
- “Those who are free of the world, are free to relate with the world in a healthy way.
And those who are dominated by the world, have no real relationship with the world.”
- “Spirituality or wisdom is not about cutting off your links from the world, rather, it is about relating completely and fully.”
- “It’s your own light that goes out to the world. Do not bother to whom it will reach. The Sun does not bother whether everybody needs light or not. Does the Sun bother whether everybody needs light? It radiates. It radiates. And then from that radiation a thousand things happen.
Out of your self-realisation, a thousand things will happen. Things will change. Things will be born. Things will get annihilated. You need not worry. You just worry about your own mind.”
- “Love is not a ‘want’ and Love is not an obligation. You don’t ‘want’ to Love somebody and you don’t ‘have’ to love somebody. Love is not at all related to the world around you. Love is first and foremost your own state of being. Love is your own inner richness. Love is entirely an internal phenomena which flows up with respect to the world as well. But primarily it has not much to do with the world, it has to do with your own consciousness. ‘Am I connected to myself?’ That connection, that closeness with yourself is Love.”
- “Something which will remain unaffected by whatever is happening on the outside, in the world. There is a state of the mind which remains continuously untouched by whatever is happening outside, this is called unconditional. It doesn’t matter what is happening here, there, with that person, in the future, in the past, today, tomorrow. I have a particular state of mind that does not change and that is called the unconditional state. You may call it Love, you may not call it Love, that doesn’t matter, this unconditionality itself is the Love. That state of mind which remains untouched by all the movements in time and space is unconditional, and that alone is Love.”
- “To stop giving importance to the world, you have to firstly stop giving importance to yourself.”
- “When ‘you’ are looking at the world, the world is ‘you’. Spirituality is not an exercise in selfishness. To be free of the ‘other’, you’ll first have to be free of yourself, because the ‘other’ clings to you through ‘you’.”
- “That’s what aloneness implies: One – the world cannot give me fulfilment. In my days of loneliness, I tried enough of that and I have come to realize that the world cannot give me fulfilment. And second – the world does not even exist as an objective entity. I alone am. This is the movement from ‘loneliness’ to ‘aloneness’. Do not think of these two – ‘loneliness’ and ‘aloneness’ – as opposites of each other. They are not opposites of each other. In fact, ‘aloneness’ is the pinnacle towards which ‘loneliness’ is always trying to move. They are different dimensions.”
- “Loneliness is dualistic – ‘me and the world’, and aloneness is non-dual.
Often we make this mistake of taking these two as opposites. They are not opposite. If something is the opposite of each other, it has to be in the same, dualistic dimension.
Aloneness is not dualistic, neither is it in the same dimension.”
- “Ordinarily, in our dualistic world, when we say, “I shall be no more,” it means death, it means annihilation. But, in the spiritual sense, in the real sense, when one dissolves, when one surrenders, when one is no more, then it is not a matter of sadness, rather it is a matter of great celebration. Because it does not mean that you have died, it means that you have come upon ‘Real’ life.”
- “Morality makes the mischief of the world your personal suffering.”
- “Stay less in contact with what you very well know, corrupts and contaminates you. You will not even know when all that will start dominating you. You will not even know when all that will become the substance of your mind, and will start calling all that your ‘own’. You will start believing that this is what ‘you’ are thinking.
The mischief of the world, will become your personal suffering, and you will say, “It is ‘my’ suffering,” when it was just the mischief of the world. The falseness of the world will become your own personal falseness. It is almost like getting an infection from somewhere.”
- “Aloneness is a particular mind. And it is not that as if that mind does not recognise, or realise people. It does. Do not forget, that aloneness does not exclude duality. Aloneness does not exclude this world.
To be alone, is to be fully of the world, and yet alone. And then one has lived!”
- “We think that our small ‘well’ is the world.
There is a huge world outside your well, outside your aims. And you must not be in a hurry to know about it. This is good news, you must not feel threatened. The world outside is good, it is not a hostile world.
You can come out and play.
The world is not there to enslave you, or harm you, or torture you.
It is an amicable world.”
“If you don’t look at this world carefully, you’ll suffer; and if you take a position that this world is everything, then too you would suffer.
Standing still is not something to be practised.
Standing still is not something that you will cultivate.
Standing still is your nature. It is already there.
But you move away from it when your mind has values that tell you to run all the time, to become super competitive.
All you need to do is go closer to those values and ask yourself, ‘Are they really needed? Are they important? Are they relevant? Can’t I live without them?’”
“Let there be a freshness and innocence in your youth. And if you are fresh and innocent, and if you surrender only to the Truth, the world will extract its pound of flesh.
Be prepared to pay the price.
No price is too heavy for reclaiming your youth.
Pay the price.
Take boldly on your chest all the wounds that this world can inflict upon you.
Have the guts!
Let them wound you; let them become your enemies. Let them gang up against you.
Why must you become a servile cow?
- “This is the right moment. And this is the right point.
Wherever you are, is the gate.
There can be no bad time to do that only thing that deserves to be done. For all your worldly affairs, there are right times and wrong times, opportune moments and inopportune moments. For wisdom, how can there be any inopportune moment? Let the First be the first. Take care of That, and then do whatever you want to do.”
- “The world is able to cheat you and deceive you only because you don’t observe it closely.
You are so afraid of the world, your morality prevents you from going close to the world.
You just want to maintain a particular image of the world without trying to know what the world factually and really is.
You do not go close to it.”
- “It is not the events in the world but the position of the Watcher of the world that matters.”
- “The world can redeem itself only by placing the highest value on the Guru.”
- “For real action, let the Real act on your behalf.
Observing the world, one comes to the ego.
Observing ego, one comes to the Self.”
- “Q. Why is there so much conflict in the world?
AP: If we get why one man and one woman is in conflict, then we can get why the whole world is in conflict.
When there is a war inside in a mental way, the same war then appears outside in a physical way.”
- “When you limit yourself to the world, then the Beyond blesses you.”
- “Practically, all the scriptures of the world combined, all the teachings of the word taken together mean just one thing – You are alright here and this that is here is all that is.”
- “There is no constraint at all on you. The world is your playground. All objects are your play things.”
- “The world begins the moment you are born.
The world ends the moment you are gone.”
- “Worldliness is to remain dry in the rain by being confined to your room.
Spirituality is to be drenched in the rain and yet be dry.
Spirituality is to be silent in middle of the sound of the rain.
When you are silent, the sound of the rain is your song.”
“Only a spiritual man can really experience pleasure and pain, day and night.
The worldly man is so terrified with experience or so hopeful from experience that he won’t be able to experience.”
- “You cannot delight in the world if you are not surrendered to the one beyond the world.”
“Q. I feel like rebelling against the entire world.
AP: If you see that you are nothing but the social and physical conditioning, this is a revolution.”
- “Freedom is to be surrendered to the Truth.
When you are surrendered to the Truth, then you are free of the world, and also free of yourself.”
- “Your non-participation is the best gift you can give to yourself and to the world.”
“The less you have, the more is your effort to get, and the more is your fear. And the more is your fear, the smaller you think yourself to be. The smaller you think yourself to be, the more again is your effort to obtain something — greatness, bigness from outside. And because it is to come from outside, it is unreliable. No beggar is ever sure of how heavy his begging bowl would be at the end of the day.
The world is not obliged to meet your expectations.”
“When it comes to dealing with the world, the world is always uncertain. And the more you are dependent on the world, the more serious and critical are your linkages with the world, the more responsible you feel towards the world; the more you’ll be steeped in fear.
To be worldly is to be fearful.”
- “The more you are a resident of this world, the more you would be condemned to live in fear.”
- “When it comes to the world, do not believe any good news.
When it comes to the Truth, do not believe any bad news.
- “Feeling threatened by the world, you seek a false security from the same world.”
“The world is just a flux, a movement, a constant movement in which there is nothing but just the movement.”
- “When the world dominates your mind, your heart weeps.”
“The world is all the time reminding you, that you are inferior. And you never question the world.
You are so alright with your own sense of inferiority, that you would never question somebody when he is calling you ‘inferior’. But when there is a reminding process going on, that you are not inferior, you kind of feel a little awkward.”
“Wise is the man, who, even by looking at half the moon, knows that the moon is One; One, Total, brilliant. Wise is the man, who, while living in the world, knows that there are things that are not visible, but are there, that there is more to living, than meets the eye. Only a fine arc might be visible, but the moon is a complete circle.
If there is nothing in your life, except that, which meets the eye, except that, which the mind can think of, then your life is very poor. And that is what is called, ‘materialism’. ‘Materialism’ is poverty itself. No materialist can ever be rich. There are only two kinds of materialists – poor and absolutely poor, because that which gives richness to life, is not material at all.
When you find that there is nothing in your life, which is inexplicable, which is so preposterous that you cannot even ‘think’ of it, let alone ‘speak’ of it, then you are living a very loveless life. You simply have no touch of ‘Love’, because love does not come to those people who live and believe only in the material.”
These quotes have come from talks and writings of Acharya Prashant